Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
I hate to initiate a thread when I know if I look hard enough I could find a thread that already covers this issue, but does anyone know of a word processor/outline utility that enables full use of the character palette other than OmniOutliner and TextEdit? I'm an engineering major, I use greek letters all the time - need to have immediate access like the palette, rather than switching fonts from something to Symbol.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Word

I myself used greek letters a lot in my engineering classes. When I would do lab writeups I would use MS Word to insert symbols. I guess you could imagine how many greek letters are used in nuclear engineering :)

Here is what I did in Word. Click on Tools go to Customize, create a new Toolbar (name it something). Then go to the Command list and go to the Insert in the catagories list. Find the Symbol command and drag it to the new Toolbar. Also you may want to drag the equation editor to this Toolbar as well. Equation editor is great I used it all the time!

Hope this helps...

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Thanks much - that'll help me for now, though I still hope to use something other than a Microsoft product in the future - just not stable enough for my taste - preferably something Cocoa?

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
cocoa is no better or worse than carbon. both can perform the same things.

i tend to use mellel, but i am not sure it would be useful for you. i am waiting in vain on Nisus writer for OSX. i can only imagine that they monkeys programming away...

Datazoid

macrumors regular
May 10, 2002
I too await with great anticipation Nisus Writer X, but for now I am stuck using the freely distributed beta of Okito Composer (in many ways, the parent of Writer X). It's a little buggy, but I hate MS Word with a passion, and AppleWorks is just not the alternative it should be. I don't believe there is any way for you to get it directly off the net now, as Okito sold all rights to the software to Nisus AFAIK, but I can send it to you/post it on the web if you would like.

Im not sure about the character pallet that you mention, as I've never had to use it.

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by melchior
cocoa is no better or worse than carbon. both can perform the same things.

I personally disagree, mainly because I've had some big problems with "carbonized" programs in the past, and every cocoa program I use seems to be a little more stable. Maybe it's a mental block.

I am also quite interested in Nisus Writer X - Mariner software just isn't good enough to compete with the Microsoft powerhouse. Anyone have any insider info on that one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.