Word Substitution for iPhone (BB vs. iPhone?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cys920622, Mar 20, 2011.

1. cys920622 macrumors member

I currently use a Blackberry Bold. There's a long long story about how I really wanted an iPhone but a future shop salesman conned me into buying a blackberry because iphones weren't available at the time (and i assume he was doing this for comission).

Anyhow, my favourite feature in this phone is Word Substitution. And by that I don't necessary mean spellcheck.
    For example,
    "ure" turns into "You're"
    "ur" turns into "your"
    "brt" turns into "be right there"
    all automatically after you press space after the shortened version.

you get the point.
    These are all substitutions that I've been able to program in myself through the Word/Input settings. They're a extremely useful for someone who sends a lot of text messages or writes a lot of emails. For those purposes, this phone is adequate, but I plan on getting iPhone 5 (or whatever it'll be called).

In short: is there a utility or app (App store or cydia) that you can get to have this sort of feature on an iPhone?

thanks in advance.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iPhone does auto correct but not the the extent "ur" is changed to your. I'm unaware of any app out there that provides that type of functionality either

Btw you don't need to bump your thread in an hours time

3. milamber macrumors regular

Inspell in cydia will do what you want.

Also I agree with the poster above. You don't need to bump a thread when it's only an hour old. Patience is a virtue

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

To be fair it wasn't actually them that did the bumping, but I agree.

5. cys920622 thread starter macrumors member

Well it wasn't exactly a bump by me :p

All I have at hand right now is a jailbroken iPod (MB model) running FW 4.2.1. I tried Inspell 1.2.0 and that crashed my ipod every time i double tapped a word to bring up the menu (copy, paste, etc.)
    The most recent version is 1.3.1, and cydia shows it as compatible with my FW. But I don't want to go through linking a credit card / making a paypal account just to purchase the new version... so...
    Can anybody confirm that this is working?
    Also, it's important that the word is replaced automatically, rather than double tapping and choosing from a list (which is incredibly inefficient).

Thanks.

6. zenio macrumors 6502

As a former BB user, I can tell you that my iPhone 4 doesn't even come close to doing what you want. Why Apple has failed to include basic features like this is very frustrating.

7. cys920622 thread starter macrumors member

Sigh, but everything else is so perfect. Why this one critical flaw? It makes typing on an iphone such a pain. Maybe I'll have to stick with blackberry and its sub-par apps... :(

8. clarknick67 macrumors member

blackberry?? my second choice.

9. cys920622 thread starter macrumors member

It really is pretty nice for sms and emails. But after 5-6000 texts a month, your thumbs kinda start wishing they didn't have to push physical buttons anymore.

10. iATEapples macrumors newbie

No Word Substution with Iphone keeping BB

EXACTLY why I'm still using my BB BOLD. I'm in sales and send the same type of emails all the time. For instance; tying in "FU" on my BB comes up with
    "HI, I wanted to check if your order was received ok" .
    I programed word sub that FU means follow up on an order for me.
    I have several, some are very extensive. Sames me lots of time.
    So, "IKMBB" .....i'm keeping my Blackberry!!
    IATEapples