Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superclio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Hi there.

A couple of weeks ago Word started doing strange things. I noticed any Word doc I've created since then when I go to reopen give me that 'enable Macros?' window warning me the doc might not be safe to open. Also when I go to attache any Word do to my gmail account it tells me the file has a virus and I have to remove the attachment in order to send the email. I downloaded a Word template that the company I work for gave me, but it's just a simple Word doc that I was told to put in Project Gallery/My Templates. I notice now that if I open a new file created from this template it is fine, but if I create a new blank doc, not a template, soon as I close it and reopen there's the 'enable or disable macros?' window.
I'm operating with OS X 10.4.6 and Word from Microsoft Office 2004.

I ran ClamXav and it said that all the Word docs I had created in the last few weeks (excluding stuff that was in the new template) contained a virus, I think it called it W97M but I'm not sure. I didn't really get how ClamXav worked and I have no idea where it put the files it said it quarantined, because all the infected files where in their original place. I have since deleted these docs myself and emptied the trash.

Any advice here would be SO appreciated.

Thanks.

Frosty1

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
we'll if u've deleted those Word docs, then you should be fine, and wont be sending any people with Windows a Virus any more Via the word virus. i could be wrong but I think your fine

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Yep, I had this virus for Word 97 that was exactly the same as yours. It did the Macros thing, and eventually Word wouldn't even open and kept locking. Must be very common. That's why nobody uses Word97 anymore. :) I just got Office 2003 for free from school, and it is much better (but still made by MS).

Superclio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Any help on W97M virus?

What do you mean stop asking about them? This is a forum for Mac users in need of help. If you're tired of this subject, or you don't want to give help then don't - but don't tell us not to ask about a subject! That's like complaining people in a restaurant are eating. This is a help forum! If I've misunderstood fair enough, but I'm asking for help as I've tried all the steps I've read about (deleting the Normal template, making sure the virus protect macro thing is on, etc) and it hasn't helped. The new Normal template does the same thing still. Reinstalling Word would be an enormous pain and I want to try to avoid this if possible.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Superclio said:
Reinstalling Word would be an enormous pain and I want to try to avoid this if possible.
Macro viruses are effectively the only real vector into Office. You'll more then likely have to reinstall it and make sure you keep Office updated. You did well in finding what was wrong but you already had the relevant information in order to help yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.