Word windows randomly switching

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chainprayer, Mar 5, 2010.

1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

My wife is having some issues with her new MacBook and MS Word...

While having multiple windows open she uses expose to switch between them. About 1/3 of the time she clicks on a window, it appears for 1/2 a second, then her original window appears. This makes it very difficult for her to navigate the windows she has open.

There have also been a few times where one word window appears over her current window.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thanks!

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Sort of. I've experienced glitches with Word/Excel and Spaces. It will switch to another Space without my instruction to do so. I should write down the sequence of events the next few times it happens....

It could be that a process is underway and not completing before I execute something else. Maybe that's her problem as well.

3. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

She will have two text documents open at once. She can leave the computer sitting for 5 minutes untouched and it will switch between windows. I have also tried a full uninstall / reinstall of Office.

4. DoorMouse macrumors member

I have the same problem- I've never really been able to operate different word documents over multiple spaces, the document just moves back to the space where I originally opened word whenever I try to save or complete any operations.

I just presumed word didn't work too well with spaces, and spaces was more meant for having a different application in a different space, rather than one application spread over multiple spaces (if that makes any sense).

It is annoying though.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Not too urgent, I guess. (March 6 to April 18th) Are the two text documents in the same Space? Are you saying this only seems to happen when the computer is left sitting idle and unattended? Do you have pets?? ;)

I made a point of observing my Spaces glitch. It is this:
    I have Word or Excel (usually Excel) open. I switch to another Space where a Finder Window is open and double-click a second file. It switched back to my Excel Space to open the file, and once finished, quickly switches back to the Finder Window on its own. I've never tried to figure out why it does this, or how to stop that.

Yes, that makes sense, but it doesn't describe how it behaves for me. I have no trouble with documents "jumping back" to their original Spaces once I've manually moved them to other Spaces. But, there is a possibility that your versions of Word and OSX aren't playing nicely. What would those versions be???

6. DoorMouse macrumors member

I have word 2008 12.2.3 and OSX 10.5.8. (I have a 13" MBP mid-2009)

Would Snow Leopard work better? (I haven't really been bothered to update yet).

It would be nice if I could have separate word documents open in different spaces that didn't keep switching each time I did something.

7. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

To clear up a little confusion....

I am not using spaces at all (in fact I have it disabled - never use it). There will be man windows open, all on one screen. I will be typing in window A when suddenly window B comes to the front. I click back to window A and resume typing. Then window C flashes up for half a second, then window D appears on top. Very frustrating, especially when my typing flows into multiple windows that are open.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, with that more detailed explanation, and going back to the original (March 5th) post, it seems like the problem is with Expose. I would suggest going to the Apple site and downloading the latest Combo updater for your OS version, even if it's the same revision you already have installed. Reinstall and see if the problem stops. By the way, what OSX version is it? 10.6.3 or what?

9. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

I remember having this problem with Leopard, but don't have it with SL. That being said, I'm using Pages mostly now, so I might just not be using Word enough for it to happen.

10. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Where can I find the proper download besides through software update?

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Go to Apple's site, then the Downloads area, search for OSX...