Word Won't Start...Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HC Penniwicket, Apr 19, 2007.

1. HC Penniwicket macrumors newbie

Every time i try opening word i get this dialogue box:
    [​IMG]
    I've tried reinstalling word, but that hasn't worked. The box comes up pretty immediately every single time. Any ideas on what i could do?

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

You'll need to post more details. What kind of machine are you running this on? Which version of Word are you using, and which version of OS X? Do the other Office apps (Excel, PowerPoint, Entourage) launch? Is this a fresh install of Word, or did it work before and suddenly stop working? If it's the latter, have you done anything to your machine recently (say, Monolingual)?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

What happens when you try opening it from another account? Try creating a test user, login, and then try opening Word. It's likely that the MS user data (in your documents) somehow got corrupted. If that works, then go back to your account, delete the User Data file, and try again.

4. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

You can switch to AbiWord or OpenOffice (NeoOffice) :p

Sorry, it was hard to resist once I've seen the title of the thread

5. HC Penniwicket thread starter macrumors newbie

Logging in as a different user worked. Anybody know how i would delete the User Data File, and what would happen if i did this?

6. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Just go to your account, then to your documents folder. It's in there. Just click it, and drag it to the trash, and empty trash.

Next time you start a Microsoft application, it will create another folder with the same name.

If it's something more serious, you might need to delete all your MS apps. This involves searching with spotlight and deleting anything that has the word "microsoft" in it (this includes application prefs, plists, and whatever those things leave in your library).

Good luck to you.

7. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

You are being nice about it. I am a rabid anti-MS grouch! Sort of like when one stops smoking and becomes an anti smoking nazi?

I still like cigars myself, and bourbon, but hate Gates to peices!:D