Word won't work on both computers

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nandy, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Nandy macrumors newbie

Hi, I just closed down the business and brought my other iMac home. They are connected by the same router box. Same feed from the cable company. Word will not work on both computers at the same time. It was not a problem when they were separated. :apple:

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Sorry to hear :(

It's because Word will only allow one serial number to be used on the same network at the same time. So you need to use a different serial number for one of the machines, if you want Word to be open on both computers at the same time on the same network.

3. Nandy thread starter macrumors newbie

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Legally? Buy another serial number. Illegally we can't help you out on the forums

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Well, when you purchase Microsoft Office (which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), it usually comes with a serial code on the back of the box. The serial code is when enables the software to work, as Microsoft is very concerned with piracy of their programs. Depending on the version of Office that you have, you may or may not have more than one serial code.

For example, the Home/Education version of Office comes with three serial codes, meaning that up to three computers can use Word at the same time on the same network. But if you didn't have that version, or if your box only had one serial code, that means you'd have to buy another copy of Office to get another serial code.

Sucks, I know. But it's Microsoft's rules. So you need to get your hands on another serial code — either by checking to see if you got a version of Office that has more than one code on the box, or buy purchasing another copy of Office altogether.

6. Nandy thread starter macrumors newbie

You are a great help. Found out I actually have 3 serial #'s. Do I have to reload Microsoft Office all over to do that?

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Great to hear! Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's an easier way to do it, but if you reinstall Microsoft Office, I'm sure that would fix it.

8. Nandy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!! I'll work on it. Personally I hate Word. Wish Appleworks were still around and compatible with everyone else. Only other one I liked was PeachTree but they want it all to be complicated. But I LOVE my :apple:

9. Nandy thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to let you know the easy fix. I actually found a whole bunch but in this case it was an easy one.
    Both computers have the same administrator so when I reinstalled Office I just changed the name in the name section. That was all I had to do -then the product key number window came up and I put in one of my other product key #'s That was it-http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif