WordPress blog to my homepage?

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I am hoping that this is possible:

I have a website that I have already created locally, and since I'm at work, i cannot upload it to my webhost right now. I also have a blog that was created by WordPress that resides here: www.cletusyouth.net/blog.

What I would like to do is take the blog portion (forgetting the header and the sidebar) from the blog page, and place it on the page I have already created at home.

I don't know what other information to provide you guys and girls, so just ask away and I'll provide all the information I can. If you already know what to do, then, by all means, lemme know.

Thank you very much for your help.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

Are you wanting to make it so your blog looks just like the page you created at home?

If that's the case, then it's really easy.

Depending on how the other site looks, you can just modify your current WordPress theme (Kubrick) and it's CSS to that of our other site.

Then again, if that's not what you're asking....lol

Comment

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
maybe i don't even know what i'm asking. :) the webpage at home i have just the way i want it...all set up with my navigation all set up and everything, and then on the blog site, i have that page. i guess i could reformat that blog page to look like my homepage. buuuuut, i guess i was hoping there would be a way to rip out the html/php from the blog page, transplant it into my homepage, and have it magically work (still work with the wordpress web software that's on my webhost. i guess it would probably be easier to just update the blog?

Does that make any sense?

Comment

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
tobefirst said:
maybe i don't even know what i'm asking. :) the webpage at home i have just the way i want it...all set up with my navigation all set up and everything, and then on the blog site, i have that page. i guess i could reformat that blog page to look like my homepage. buuuuut, i guess i was hoping there would be a way to rip out the html/php from the blog page, transplant it into my homepage, and have it magically work (still work with the wordpress web software that's on my webhost. i guess it would probably be easier to just update the blog?

Does that make any sense?
Makes perfect sense.

That's pretty much what I did with my site.

What you're going to need to do is go into WP admin, and change the directory from "/blog" to "/" so it sets it up for your home directory.

Then when you have FTP access, move every file and folder from the "/blog" directory to your public html folder.

Then, either upload your site at home, it's style sheet, etc. Then just adjust the template of your WP to that of your other site, with the navigation etc.

Comment

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
cool. i think that i understand. this is my first real website, and it's a lot bigger and more intensive than i would like for a first trial, but i'm learning so much, ya know?

you seem to know what i'm trying to do, so would you mind if i IMed you later if i have any problems?

Comment

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
tobefirst said:
cool. i think that i understand. this is my first real website, and it's a lot bigger and more intensive than i would like for a first trial, but i'm learning so much, ya know?

you seem to know what i'm trying to do, so would you mind if i IMed you later if i have any problems?

Feel free - I was just about to suggest that if you ran into any troubles lol

Comment

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Heres an idea that might not make any sense:

You could edit the blog's CSS to get rid of the navigation (assuming you want to have your own navigation), using visibility properties, and such. Then stretch the div that hold the blog content to be 100% of the parent div, which is the body (or so I am assuming) and so it would take up the whole page. Then make a blog page that fits the design that you already have, and where you want the content to be, put an iFrame with the blog contents.

Of course this isn't very good web organization, and I would advise against it, but it might be a more viable alternative. I doubt it will be though - moving the /blog folder's contents to your home directory should work fine, and should be easy enough.

scem0

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.