Wordpress is simply amazing!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by theremedyband, Mar 13, 2009.

1. theremedyband macrumors newbie

theremedyband

Wordpress has got to be the easiest web authoring tool I've ever used. I began creating my site on Saturday morning and finished it (minus a couple of image galleries) less than three days later. You be the judge but it's certainly not a "beginner" looking type of site in my humble opinion.

Kudos to Wordpress and all the developers out there who create useful plugins and widgets that made this such a snap. I can't believe I created sites in flash and Dreamweaver for so long.

If there's anyone looking for some advice on how to get started with this great tool or need some advice on where to find great templates, shoot me an e-mail and I'll be glad to help you out.

Rick Williams
    My Site

2. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Awesome site you got there, how long did it took you to make your own theme?

3. theremedyband thread starter macrumors newbie

theremedyband

It came from Studio Press

Actually, I purchased the template from a website called Studio Press. They have quite a few themes to choose from, are affordably priced and provide pretty good support at well. The template I used was entitled "Church Theme."

Thanks for your comments, as I said before I've buit sites with Dreamweaver, Flash and even a large CMS. I've not had a better or easier experience with ANY of them.

4. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I used to think WordPress was strictly created just for blogging, but this site proves otherwise!

Maybe I'll try it for one of the sites I'm currently working on. It might make it really cool being dynamic and all...

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It *is* designed primarily for blogging, but that site is well designed in that the layout takes advantage of the platform's ability to handle dynamic content.

6. pelsar macrumors regular

CMS and wordpress....

designing for clients...how does wordpress "stack up" to a serious CMS system? I"m one of those "dreamweaver/div/flash designers.....

7. torndownunit macrumors regular

I am playing around with Wordpress for my second time now, working on my own site. I tried it once before strictly setting up a blog.

It's amazing how configurable it is when you really start digging into it. I basically have my site setup so that the front page isn't even the blog page. It's a static page. I then have the 'blog' page set up as an 'current projects' page that I will update with stuff I am working on.

So basically I get the benefits of using some nice templates, having the ability to have some dynamic content, and easy updates (especially with galleries/portfolio pages). But it doesn't really look like a blog at all.

I have played around with Joomla but it has a TON of features. Overkill for most of the small jobs I do. But I am definitely going to consider using Wordpress in the future for some clients sites.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Wordpress is definitely good for free. However, the most powerful website creation ... website is squarespace.com. Extremly easy to use yet incredibly powerul WYSIWYG editor (even for templates, css, etc.). It starts at $8/month though. I'm not affiliated with them I just think it's an amazing service/tool.

9. pelsar macrumors regular

how about its limitations?

before i "dig into it" (seems over the years i must have zillions of hours spent checking different programs out)....where am i going to come up to a wall? Something that is easy enough to do using CSS/Dreamweaver that wont be possible with Wordpress?

Does Wordpress take all CSS style programming?

I assume that if there are templates, then obviously i can make my own design and dont need that "starting point"..What i am looking for is the unasked questions..forms? are the bullets flexible in terms of placement, etc

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes.

Yes. This tutorial is very good, and takes you from the ground up.

11. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

With an unbiased opinion, how does it compare to iWeb?

12. torndownunit macrumors regular

They aren't really comparable is the issue. It's an 'apples and oranges' scenario.

iWeb, like all iLife apps, is designed so even people with little computer experience can use it. It's mainly a WYSIWYG design program.

Wordpress is a content management system. Unless you are using a premade theme, and don't want to dig into editing it at all, you do need some knowledge of CSS and PHP. If you have that knowledge, your configuration options are way beyond anything iWeb can offer. Especially with all the plug-ins available. And even if you choose to use a stock theme, you still have access to all the plug-ins which can extend the sites a ton.

13. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

I agree, Wordpress is amazing. I had absolutely no web site experience before starting my website. Wordpress made it fun and easy to learn.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Something about Wordpress wiping the floor with iWeb. Wordpress is just amazing. Very powerful and flexible, been using it for 4 or so years.

15. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

LOL ok i get the point. Maybe i'll try it out sometime.

16. torndownunit macrumors regular

You should go to wordpress.org and take a look through all the plug-ins. There are a ton for forms, galleries and everything else you can think of. Plus everything in your template is generally edited through CSS. Looking through the site you can get an idea of what Wordpress can do. Looking through the massive amounts of templates available will also give you an idea of the variety of site designs you can achieve.

I don't use Dreamweaver, but I used GoLive for years. I personally think Wordpress it a lot easier to use. There are sites it won't work for I am sure. But I plan to use it when I can for some of my clients sites from now on. Especially the ones who would like to do some of their own updates. Or the companies I deal with with small budgets who could benefit from just using an existing template.

There are plug-ins to control what a user can access editing wise. So you can just give a client access to the pages, media upload, and post areas of the control panel. That way they can do updates, but not access any of the design features to mess things up. So basically, you can design the site, they can update it with no worries.

You can do the same thing with any of the CMS systems, I just find Wordpress very practical for the type of sites I do. Sites where you can use some dynamic features, but don't need all the features something like Joomla has.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Another great thing about WP is that it's fairly simple to make your own plugins and themes. Plugins require some knowledge of PHP, but themes just need CSS and are based off of more or less the same PHP code.

18. designgenies macrumors newbie

Yes...Wordpress is really awesome .it gives you easy tool to work and publishing platform.

19. Momofthree macrumors member

I am just looking for something that I can use to design a webpage and/or ebay template.... visually. Then be able to take the coding and tweak it if I need to.

Can one access the coding on Wordpress? that website looks pretty darn good!! I need to access it so I can input the html into an ebay auction listing.... :D

20. calebmedia macrumors member

Wordpress = Jackie Chan

VS

iWeb = this kid without a brain (heh)

21. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Great site! And you guys seem to be located really close to me -- good luck with the music!