Wordpress....MAMP MYSQL help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by pelsar, Mar 18, 2009.

1. pelsar macrumors regular

ok..i'm now attempting to learn wordpress and "check it out"...first problem is the MAMP. got it installed (or so it claims) and then i go to set up the MySQL, which i understand i need...except that i have no idea what to do next:

am i creating a "new datatbase"? and whatabout all of those options?

and how and where and what do i put in the htdocs folder (i assume this is where the files are stored).

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You'll want to use PhpMyAdmin, which is installed with MAMP. You can access it at http://localhost/phpmyadmin/ with the default install. I'm trying to remember the default account, maybe root and empty password. PHPMyAdmin lets you adminstrate MySQL through a web interface including adding a new database for WordPress and creating accounts.

What you dump in your htdocs folder? Whatever you want. If your site will just have your WordPress on it you might as well take all of the WordPress files and put them directly in the root directory (the htdocs) and then when you access localhost it'll go to WordPress front page (once setup). You would also create a folder in htdocs and place all your WordPress files in it. It's up to you.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's usually user: root, password: root

If you do the former, your WP page will come up when you go to http://localhost:8888/ . If you put it in another folder, go to http://localhost:8888/yourfolder .

4. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

not yet....

this is not working out very well.....

got the MAMP serve up and running on my mac (localhost)...put the wordpress php files in the default htdocs folder....yet the php files are not recognized as such and the browser doesnt open them....

any ideas?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

did you edit your wp_config.php file so it looks for the right database? Go to that file and open it with a text editor. It'll should be edited to look something like this:

Code:
    // ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
    /** The name of the database for WordPress */
    define('DB_NAME', 'mysql');

/** MySQL database username */
    define('DB_USER', 'root');

/** MySQL database password */
    define('DB_PASSWORD', 'root');

/** MySQL hostname */
    define('DB_HOST', 'localhost:8888');

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I always forget about all that default stuff. I always change the 8888 to 80 as one of my first actions. Thanks for the corrections.

7. pelsar thread starter macrumors regular

got it...

got it working....now we'll see if i can "handle this"....

thanks

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's very handy for previewing your posts... won't waste bandwidth on your host.