Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Just wondering if anyone has setup a Wordpress site with the Safari Push Notification System?

From what I can see you would need an Apple Developer Account and a little coding on the Wordpress Site.

Guessing sooner or later someone will create a Wordpress Plugin for this.

Has anyone had any experience setting this up on a website yet?

Thanks in Advance!

dan-at-roost

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Safari Push Notifications with Roost

Hey That-Guy,

Yes I have! I actually built a plugin that does just this. Here is the link to it. It is called Roost For Bloggers.

Easy to install from the Wordpress plugin directory. Simple to sign up and begin using it. And, it is completely free to bloggers. No catch. No complicated configuration or coding.

This plugin uses Roost to send notifications. What is really cool about this is, anyone that visits your site on Safari in OS X Mavericks will receive the prompt for browser notifications, but you can also allow other visitors to sign up and receive push notifications to their mobile devices.

Check it out! I will answer any questions here, or via email. My email is dan.stever at roost.me.

Full-Disclosure: I work for Roost.

Last edited:

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Hey That-Guy,

Yes I have! I actually built a plugin that does just this. Here is the link to it. It is called Roost For Bloggers.

Easy to install from the Wordpress plugin directory. Simple to sign up and begin using it. And, it is completely free to bloggers. No catch. No complicated configuration or coding.

This plugin uses Roost to send notifications. What is really cool about this is, anyone that visits your site on Safari in OS X Mavericks will receive the prompt for browser notifications, but you can also allow other visitors to sign up and receive push notifications to their mobile devices.

Check it out! I will answer any questions here, or via email. My email is dan.stever at roost.me.

Full-Disclosure: I work for Roost.

This actually looks pretty good! A few questions:

Does Roost just read new posts from your RSS feed of the site then send out the notification?

All I would want is the Safari Push Notification feature so can other features be switched off?

Just seen this "When your site is viewed in a push-enabled browser and a Roost button or bar is clicked" I have seen other sites that auto popup with a safari window say something like "this site would like to send you push notifications" is this possible? or do you have to have the Roost Bar visible?

Thanks!

dan-at-roost

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Hey That-Guy,

Here are the answers to your questions:

Does Roost just read new posts from your RSS feed of the site then send out the notification?

The Wordpress plugin hooks into the "publish_post" action of Wordpress. This way there will be no delay for the notifications to be sent.

We do have a paid plan that adds the RSS feed feature. If you'd like, you can check out all of our plans and features on the Roost Pricing and Plans page.

All I would want is the Safari Push Notification feature so can other features be switched off?

We do not provide a way to limit the features. If you would like to use it only for web push, you could easily do so by doing a browser check with JavaScript and then hide or show the bar.

Just seen this "When your site is viewed in a push-enabled browser and a Roost button or bar is clicked" I have seen other sites that auto popup with a safari window say something like "this site would like to send you push notifications" is this possible? or do you have to have the Roost Bar visible?

When you do your own native implementation, it would be possible. However, there are a few reasons we do not do this, one is to avoid user confusion. Your notifications will be sent through Roost, so if it is not presented to a user at the start it could be confusing when they receive the notification.

Hopefully this answers your questions. Let me know if you have any others.

dan-at-roost

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Safari Push Notifications with Roost

Glad to see there are other people coming into the market.

We have made some really cool advancements and additions to the Roost service and our Wordpress plugin. An update will be hitting the directory very soon.

Just as a teaser, we've added Safari only features and will be supporting some other browsers with native desktop push as well.

jakemgold

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2014
Just throwing our hat in the ring, too. I'm the President of 10up, a full service agency that makes websites like TechCrunch.com and Grandland.com, and I believe we've built the best solution:

http://pushupnotifications.com

PushUp has been tested with publishers like GigaOM and 9to5mac, delivering over 125,000 subscribers post notifications in a matter of minutes. We've delivered over 17 million notifications during our beta run. Needless to say, we've been tested at scale like no other solution.

As we employ over 25 core WordPress contributors - 10up helps make WordPress itself - we've taken special pride in how secure, scalable, and seamlessly integrated our solution is.

We also think our unique pricing model makes us a great fit for publishers of all size, best on their actual use. Direct message me, and I'll even provide a special promo code to get an even better rate!

I'd welcome any and all feedback!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.