Wordpress to Social Workflow

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Tilpots, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Looking for some advice on how to improve my workflow. First, a little bit about my site, it's capefeargear.com. I intend it to be the place for folks in my area to look for information and articles about outdoor and active sports. I've been running it for about 10 months or so. A big part of what I do is to scan the local news and information websites for articles that fit the site. When I find them, I've been using Press This to quickly add a link to the articles on the creator's website. Now that I have proven to myself I am capable of devoting the time to the site, I'm starting to link these posts to Cape Fear Gear's Facebook Pages site and Twitter account. What will be different, is that I want to add my commentary to the link I'm sharing.

Instead of Press This, I tried Jetpack last night and it links back to my site and then I posted a bit.ly link to the article. The whole thing felt quite clumsy. I'm looking for a better user experience and I wanted to see what you guys might be using. Any thoughts?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Which part of Jetpack did you use? I've never tried Press This yet, but maybe one of these days.

Plus, I'm not quite understanding what you're trying to accomplish. I have a couple of plugins that will send articles I post in WP directly to Facebook and Twitter so that I don't have to go and repost them to each site.

3. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Press This is quite handy for what I'm doing, gathering and sharing links from local news sites.

I use the Publicize portion of Jetpack to share my posts to Facebook and Twitter. The problem comes in when one of my syndicated feeds makes a post. The Publicize option kicks in and posts those to Facebook and Twitter as well. I can't seem to figure out a way for Publicize to only post social updates for my posts.

Bit.ly would be the perfect solution, but they want to charge me for having a Pages Facebook account. I just can't justify that expense right now for the amount of usage.

Soooo, what I'm trying to do is post a small bit of commentary with an external link to a news article to Wordpress, Facebook and Twitter all at the same time with the least amount of steps as possible, while excluding syndicated content from doing the same. Make sense? :eek:

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wordpress to Social Workflow

Yep, I get it now. That is an issue with the syndicated feeds being reposted. I'm not sure what the answer is for that since I've not tried anything like that before. There has to be a plugin on the WordPress site to accomplish what you want.

Are you using WordPress.com or WordPress.org? Not that it makes a difference, I'm just curious.

5. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Wordpress.org

The added commentary and desire to reach out via social is what's driving this new direction. I'll comb the plugins for something similar. I can work around it by creating a draft via Press This, editing the post and adding commentary, tags and images, then linking Publicize to my 2 social accounts, publishing, and then go back in to deactivate the Publicize social accounts. It works, it's just not very smooth.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, that does seem rather cumbersome. If I get time tomorrow, I'll poke around in the plugins too and see if anything turns up.

I may give the Press This option a whirl too.

7. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

I think I got it fixed. Seems there was a setting I enabled that told the Publicize Jetpack plugin to post all content from all users, not just me. I disabled it and it seems to be working as I wanted. When I post something, it shares on Facebook and Twitter. When the Syndicated sites post something, it shows only on the site. Much better.

http://jetpack.me/support/publicize/

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Good deal, I'm glad it was a simple solution.

I did add the Press This bookmarklets to two of my sites and tried it out. It's pretty neat and I'll probably use it more now.

9. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Press This is quite useful. Hope it works for ya. I wish I could add a featured image from it, but if I save it as a draft, it's pretty easy to Edit and get taken to the full Post New page. Thanks for your help here! :)

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well, you're in luck. I downloaded this plugin earlier today and it does just that!

Press This Reloaded

11. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Shut the front door. Looks perfect. I'll try it tonight. I really heart Wordpress. It gives idiots like me a fighting chance.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I like WordPress more and more each day. Its not only easy to use, but its kind of fun too.

13. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

So I've tried multiple times to use the Reloaded plugin and I cant get it to work. I keep getting a 404 error. Seems other have issues as well. Didn't put a lot of effort into fixing it, just don't have time right now May revisit later...

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's unfortunate. It's working for me still. Perhaps you have some customizations on the WP back-end, file directories or something that is preventing it from working.

15. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

So I had never gotten Press This Reloaded to work, and for the hell of it, I tried again today. Works like a champ. I'll be damned. Great recommendation Sandbox General. I have no idea what changed, but this plugin saves me several steps. Excellent!

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Oh wow! I'm glad it's working now. Strange how it wasn't before.

17. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Strange indeed. I've had the plugin installed the whole time, too. I just changed the bookmark for Press This as instructed (which I did before). This time it worked. No idea. Just glad it works. :)