Work Bandwidth by IP Watcher?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fletch33, Apr 19, 2012.

1. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

i have had an issue at work where we have 13 down and 1.5 up where we hit so much useage that the internet slows to crawling and then the modem will reset andwe are good for a time then it happens again.

my ISP has been here and checked everything from their end and it appears it is definitely coming from us and not their fault.

i asked everyone for the last week to stop using anything personal (we dont filter anything and allow FB, etc...) like Pandora, Spotify, etc... anything that uses bandwidth that is not work related.

i called the ISP this morning to get a report of our useage since the stopping of personal stuff for a week didnt seem to help. i was informed that early this morning when nobody would be here that we hit our peak useage causing the modem to reset itself but we were not even at work yet?

when i asked to stop the personal stuff i also made sure that Google music and things like LogMeIn etc... were also not being used so i am completely at a loss on what might be causing this.

we are all Mac except 1 windows machine that i do not have connected to the internet.

my next thought was to see if there is something i can install on my Mini that would watch all IP's on the network and record a day or whatever os useage by them all so i can see what machine might be causing this.

does anyone know of such a program or have an idea on how i might track this down?

of course my ISP says it could be a virus and the tech there said my Macs could have a virus and i had to have the usual "they dont get virus's" speech with him explaining that a rare possible malware could exist but i have already checked them all for that and they dont have it. as you can imagine he proceeded to tell me that Macs get virus's and i asked him if he could please provide a link to a Mac virus hehehe

anyway i would greatly appreciate some help with this problem.

thanks

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Depending on the router you're using, you may find that it can provide network usage logs, which should be your first port of call.

If you're getting that amount of usage when nobody's in, however (and assuming that you've checked all machines for the recent java-based trojan), I'd be inclined to think that someone may be running a bittorrent downloader on the quiet... (don't ask me why - let's just say that I've been there, okay? ;) )

3. fletch33 thread starter macrumors regular

fletch33

i have a Time Machine so it is not very helpful without a lot of work from what i read.

torrents and newsgroups is what i suspect but i really wanted an app to watch it and show me what IP is using how much over an hour or 24 hours etc...

there seems to be a lot of these options for windows but not mac.

i really dont want to resort to setting up a windows machine to do this if i dont have to

thanks

4. fletch33 thread starter macrumors regular

fletch33

ok using iNet from the app store which doesnt exactly give me all the data i need but it does show me that the "rate" of data on one particular macbook running lion in my office hangs at about 3X everyone else.

i checked for the malware and it didnt show any.

she is running Chrome, Excel, Word, Mail, and iChat and not really anything else. she is also someone that wouldnt even know what a torrent was.

i will prob have to put a network monitor on her macbook but i thought i would ask for suggestions anyway on what it might be.

thanks