Work computer: delete all personal files, keep programs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bdizzy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. bdizzy macrumors newbie

Have a work laptop that I basically used as a work + personal laptop for years. Now I need to give it back without deleting certain programs.
    Obviously I want to delete all my personal files including:
    -bookmarks
    -keychain
    -mail
    -any personal program data you can think of.

Few notes (from searching for this using Mroogle):
    - Totally legal because work legally owns licenses for the programs
    - I already tried creating a new admin user account in hopes that the programs will work there and I can delete my current admin account. Of course apps are available to the new admin user account, but certain scientific programs we have only allow 1 install, period. So I cannot simply re-enter license info there.
    - Yes, I will do a 7 time re-write of all free space after I'm done deleting all files.

I have already deleted all personal files from the home folder.

3 main questions:
    Can I now delete everything from /home/Library except for folders for the few apps I'm keeping without causing any problems?

What about /Library (not /home/Library)?

Anything else I should worry about outside of the 2 Library folders?

Thanks

2. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

3. bdizzy thread starter macrumors newbie

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First download the program Yasu and run all the cache cleaning routines. Just let the program reboot the Mac and upon the first reboot manually reboot again to completely rebuild the startup/shutdown system cache. The open /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access and dete your Keychain and make a new Keychain. Then open you browser and delete all the bookmarks. cookies and etc. Then use the program Flush to get rid of all those evil flash cookies.

Now if you really want to be clean, if you have an Administrator account, make a new account /system Preferences->Accounts and make a new Account (Administrative). Then boot into that account and go into System Preferences->Accounts and delete the Account you were using. Then don't use the Mac after that to keep it as clean as possible.