Work email requires lock code, is there a way around needing one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PyroMac2011, Oct 28, 2011.

1. PyroMac2011 macrumors newbie

Honestly, my work email is anything but sensitive information but by enabling the account on my iPhone a lock passcode is required. Is there anyway around needing to setup a lock code?

I am not looking for a way to bypass a lock code, just not have to enter one in the first place.

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Has a profile been installed?

I'd imaging then wanting a lock for a reason, maybe it's a good idea to stick to that.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Nope, that's being pushed from your company by a security policy along with the config for your email account. If you're curious about the security features there is more info here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/integration/#security

but in a nutshell, if your company has enabled that requirement you can't shut it off.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

This is controlled by your email administrator. You might want to talk to your IT department before you get yourself into trouble. :cool:

5. PyroMac2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hrm, ok. I wish there was a way I could setup a lock code specifically for email or just that account. At that point I guess someone could just hack into the email since the rest of the phone is unlocked but if they wanted in they would get in regardless.

Maybe I will just switch to looking at my email through our web based accounts.

6. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

That's what I do.

7. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

If you can see the email account settings, just copy them somewhere, remove the provisioning profile, manual reconfigure the e-mail, and hope it still works.

I'd also just go to IT first so you don't get in trouble.

The consequences of doing this may be pretty severe, so do this at your own risk.

8. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

He can just lose his job. What's the big deal. There are other jobs.

9. salacious macrumors 6502a

im in IT for my company and it would seem that the passcode would be your login password for your computer at work... thats how ours is set up

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not all corporate environments are identical.

11. salacious macrumors 6502a

i know :) i did say that is how ours is setup. but it would make sense.. why would you have a seperate password for your login account and then one for your email? all that hassle for no reason..

12. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Maybe your company values your communication more than you. Plus it isn't just your email that is confidential, but your Global Address List and Calendar.

Speak to IT first, if they have a profile set up though, the most likely situation is that you need to have the profile, along with the passcode attached to it to access your email.

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

We do the same, which in our case it's Hippa and compliance regulation related. Don't fault your IT Guys. I just keep mine at 0000. Not a big deal. I don't keep anything on my phone that's top secret. If I lose it, I'll wipe it or IT Will. If someone finds it, they can feel free to call my parents. Tell them I said hello.

We have so many passwords, you can literally find post it notes of them all taped to laptops, monitors, etc. in our offices. The immense security concerns are stupid really. Compliance audits can happen all day long, but they don't likely know that all this compliance forces further exposure in analog ways.

14. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

We use Google Apps for Education, and in the administration control panel, there's a section for requiring passcodes on mobile devices. There's no way around it, because if you set up the account on your iPhone, it will prompt you to create a passcode before it will connect to your mail server. The only way to check email, contacts, and calendars related to our Google Apps accounts without using a passcode is to use webmail in Mobile Safari.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I know my exchange server does the same thing. So I set a lock code on it to get the email to work. Then go under mail settings and deactive the mail, then I shut off my lock code and reactivate the email and it works. No need for the lock code and can still check work emails.