Work from home professionals what would you recommend?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Nov 9, 2011.

1. entatlrg, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I use computers for design, writing manuals, high volume emails, research and entertainment.

I work from home, spend many hours daily at the computer, don't like being tied to a desk, my workplace of choice is the couch in my den.

I prefer a large screen but a 27" display with a couch or lazy boy isn't too realistic.

On the other hand I love ultra portable laptops like the 11 and 13" MacBook Air, I've used them both.

I have a Mac Pro for server, back up, and storage but it don't work from it often. Also have a MacBook Air for mobile use but for long hours everyday I think the screen is a bit small.

I thinking of adding a 17" or maybe a 15" MBP to my set up, I'd use it as my main machine around the house and when I needed a larger screen on the go.

Not sure what to do. Anyone else work from home, whats your set up?

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Even though that was a pretty long post, I'm afraid you'll have to provide more information. It sounds a bit like your perfect setup will be a nice large Cinema Display hooked up to a mid-high end 17" MacBook Pro. That will provide a nice combination of power, portability, and screen real estate. I don't recommend using two separate computers, as maintaining both quickly becomes tedious. I've tried using a MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro at the same time, and ended up ditching the Air. Currently, I use a single 15" MacBook Pro, and it's both portable and powerful. I hope this helps.

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Thanks, I shortened the post a bit.

Your set up is clean and simple, I like that. In my case the Mac Pro is needed for the business and I really like the MacBook Air for traveling or using in tight areas. Even in bed it's great for quick replies to emails.

I'm looking for something in between I guess. I've often thought of using a 17" MBP as a main/only computer but it has it's sacrifices...

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

For the use you've outlined, I suggest the 17" MBP. It's only 1 pound heavier than a 15" MBP & has a screen so ideal you've got to use it to fully appreciate it.

I have a 15 & 17". If I was limited to one (I carry it daily) it would be the 17" without hesitation.

5. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

vitzr,

If I recall correctly you have a MacBook Air too right?

If so, what amount of time do you spend on each?