Work, life, time, money....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Go Dog Go, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Go Dog Go macrumors member

Please, read my writing and give me your insight.

I am confused. I'm going into my 4th year of school for a degree in Industrial Engineering. I go to a great school, and while I like Industrial Engineering, I am more interested in making money, being passionate about work, and loving what I do.

I've had internships with 3 solid companies (Boeing most recently). I feel like it's so easy to get lost in the mix with these large companies, it's not cut out for me. I grew up in a farming family, my Dad instilled entrepreneurship into my veins. I've started a few solo businesses, with no employees, and paid my way through school by doing this. It's exciting. Sure, there's a solid, stable job market for an Engineer, but is it what I want to do? Do I want to put a price on 8 hours of my life, every day, for the next 30 years?

Do I get my degree, pursue an MBA, and get an upper management job with a good company? Or, do I go for my own business, try a few start ups, and if I fail, go get a job?

I just got out of a meeting with my boss, and he extended me an offer to work for Boeing once I graduate. I told him exactly how I felt, (which is that I believe I am socially skilled, smart, motivated, and can make more money on my own), and he said "I wish I had big enough balls to do that when I was young".

There are so many things to go for in life, and so little time.

Anyone been in this predicament before?

2. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Actually, my son-in-law is there. Graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, he was looking at taking a job, getting his creds, license, going the whole path.

He didn't, he now owns his own business, computer hardware and software services, support and such. He's providing better for my daughter than I ever thought he would so early in their marriage.

They are young enough to go for it, if they run into a brick wall, they can struggle and recover. He can probably find a job, he has that degree to fall back on...

It worked for him.

3. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I think you should go for your dream, but think very carefully about the timing.

In an uncertain economy, there's nothing wrong with sticking with a job, climbing the ladder, gaining experience and contacts...

You can jump ship at (almost) any point to start out for yourself. But everything you have under your belt at that point will be experience you're bringing with you.

So I would say do it, but after careful planning and very careful consideration of when and how.

Edit: On the other hand, the poster right before me had good points, too. So now you've got both sides of the coin I guess.