Work Locked Down iPhone??? Can I

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jasontrucks76, Feb 28, 2011.

1. jasontrucks76 macrumors member

Hey guys and gals.

I just ordered my new work phone and I am guessing that they are going to lock down most of the features like they did with my blackberry and I am wondering if there is a way for me to override the things that they override?

For example... On the blackberry "they" limit the web pages you go to, the size of memory for old emails, calendar dates do not store history, and more annoying things like that. All I really want is to use the phone as it was intended without "they" being able to lock items or limit functionality.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

JT

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

The iPhone doesn't provide the level of security that Blackberry does for corporate applications. There are a few things that can be done via things like Good or Exchange, but it's definitely not up to the level of Blackberry.

I don't think they could stop you from visiting web pages and such or even what apps are installed. They could detect if the phone is jailbroken as well as some other things, which would then be reported to your company to handle as they see fit.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Doubt they can do the same with the iPhone.
    They might force a password and other email settings but they can't restrict any more things.

4. jasontrucks76 thread starter macrumors member

That sounds like good news to me!

I would expect to see a password and some email things but the limiting of calendar items and storage of history really bothers the heck out of me.

Thanks for the quick replies!

5. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Even if it did provide some sort of Safari browsing history (which I highly doubt), you could just download something like Atomic Browser (which is superior anyway) and use it instead.

6. jasontrucks76 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry... Im not sure I was clear on the history deal.

Im not looking to browse any sites that are not approved. The history limiting Im frustrated with is the calendar. Currently on some smart phone models "they" have the ability to go back and view past dates and appointments restricted. In other words... If I want to go back and see where I was two weeks ago Thursday... No such luck

Same with the email history. you can only go back and look at emails that hit the devise within 24 hours. I would like to be able to keep emails as long as I see fit depending on there importance.

I hope that clears my original post up a bit. BUT by the sounds of it... This may not be an issue with the iPhone.

Thanks again!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not 100% sure but they might be able to put those restriction on email and calendar events.
    But its not like locking down most things or other functionality on the iphone. It has to do with company info so they could sensor those but the rest of the apps and other things on the iphone should be fine.

8. jasontrucks76, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

jasontrucks76 thread starter macrumors member

Update.

I have had the phone for a few days now and really am enjoying it. What a great little device!

However... once I connected to the company server for the email exchange... The limitations are no different than any other smart phone model. My email capacity has been limited to a week of storage, Passcode has been enforced, and a few other things that were not to inconvenient.

All in all it looks like Apple has gave up some control with the exchange connections for corporate usage. I guess that is all fine a good since I really don't own the devise... "They" can do what ever they want with it.

Just thought I would follow up and let you know what I have found out.

Thanks to all for the input!

9. kre62 macrumors 68000

....deviCe

10. jasontrucks76 thread starter macrumors member