Work MacBook Privacy

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Punkwaffle, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Punkwaffle macrumors regular

Punkwaffle

Hi,

So work switched me to a MacBook finally! I know my way around a Mac, however, how can I ensure that I control what is being monitored when I'm not on the VPN? I'm thinking little snitch, but if there is a more comprehensive solution, I'd like to know.

Thanks!

2. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

What do you mean by this? Are assuming your employer has software on your Mac to monitor usage?

What features do you require which little snitch does not have?

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Work provided the computer? Did you sign any sort of computer use agreement when you were issued a computer? Don't expect any privacy on your work-issued computer and doing anything to bypass company-installed monitoring or security apps can put your job in jeopardy. Keep work and personal separate. I have my own computer to do personal stuff, my own tablet for the same reason. I don't do anything on work-issued devices that I don't want work knowing about.

4. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

One solution might work like this:

1. Partition your hard drive

2. Install your OS of choice on the new partition.

3. Use the NEW partition for personal stuff, and the original for work.

4. If you are ultra paranoid, for real or perceived reasons.... Still use Little Snitch and LinkLiar (to spoof your MAC address, so it does not log your real MAC into any router/server logs.)

Another more sophisticated setup...make a clone of your work HD into a VMware or Parallels Image. Run your work OS inside a virtual machine.

5. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Basically most companies are more worries about the business data you carry around with you that you may or may not share with somebody else than they are about your personal use of the computer.

If it is company issued, use it exclusively for business. No exceptions. If it is a personal computer which you connect to their VPN, then you don't have to worry about your company "digging up dirt" on you via your mobile connection. However, if you get a Trojan that exposes company data to a third party you may be liable.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My $.02

Keep your personal life and business life separate, don't use your work computer for personal stuff - it keeps like simple and easy by segregating the two.