Work on G4 MDD. How to discharge static?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by visvaldis, Dec 17, 2011.

1. visvaldis macrumors member

Jul 9, 2008
    In a few days I will replace my defective optical drive with a super drive from OWC. This will be my first time working on the Mac.
    I want to make sure I don't make that little static mistake to ruin the Mac. Exactly how do I discharge the static? With power cord removed I plan to work on a wooden table and linoleum floor. Is that enough? Should I remove the battery as well?
    I appreciate all tips to avoid a stupid and costly error.
  2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2010
    The Philippines...
    It is not recommendable but I don't worry about it. Just touch the metal part of the case. I have no issues with statics as long as you are not working on the daughter cards were the CPU's are mounted.
  3. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Nov 20, 2010
    ladner cdn
  4. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Jul 23, 2010
    Agree with above posts. For this procedure, on a wooden table and linoleum floor, touching metal should be sufficient. If you step away from your work for any reason, do the same upon returning.
  5. zen.state macrumors 68020

Mar 13, 2005
    I only bother putting on my static strap for CPU or RAM as they are far more sensitive. I would simply touch the metal on the rear of the case then open it up and install the new drive. You don't need to remove the battery.