Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i am trying to figure out what i should set my burnt calories goal to. i have never been much of a runner and i am naturally pretty thin but i want to start getting into some sort of work out routine now that i have almost got the watch ... again :D

on my sports i had it set to 350 i think it may have done it by itself after measuring my data? dont remember. anyway that seemed way too low cuz i reached that just by walking to classes, work etc. by the end of the day, no problem.

i think those data is requires so here it is, dont care lol:
male
26 years
6 feet (183 cm)
72 kg

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
what r u trying to accomplish?

with that said you are almost always better off accomplishing your caloric goals with diet over exercise.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
mostly i just want to get my heart and lungs into shape. as of right now i feel like my lungs are about to explode just by running for 10 minutes :eek: and my heart rate went up to 170 just by pushing a stroller up a hill :eek:

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
mostly i just want to get my heart and lungs into shape. as of right now i feel like my lungs are about to explode just by running for 10 minutes :eek: and my heart rate went up to 170 just by pushing a stroller up a hill :eek:

Don't fret about the calorie goal for now. Just start working out using the app. After you have done one workout of a particular type the next time you start a new workout of that type it will show you how much you did last time.

Build up to it. Calories is just a number that indicates an amount of energy.

Your body burns something like 1800 - 2200 by breathing and keeping your heart beating every day. The goal you are setting is incremental calories.

If you had a weight loss goal the calories would mean more. You have to burn 3500 more calories than you eat to lose 1 lb. (The inverse works too).

Sounds to me you are more interested in improving cardio so you should make your goals more cardio based. Aerobic training. I forget exactly but I think the Awrobic zone peaks at about 70% of max.

220 minus your age is your max heart rate. 80% of that is the most you should train at and lower is better. So if you are 40 your max heart rate should be 180 and your training heart rate should be 144. 220-40=80*80%=144.

Ultimately you should consult a health professional about what you need to do so that you are not doing potential harm.

kirkhuffy

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Philadelphia
You're roughly 158 pounds at 6 foot. You need to gain weight my friend. You don't weigh enough for your height.

You can do cardio, sure, to increase your stamina. But don't worry about how many calories your burning.

I'm 5'8" 160lb and I eat around 3000-3200 calories a day (and follow macros) and I'm trying to gain weight. I'm actually considering raising my caloric intake because the weight just isn't adding on.

If you start to do a lot of cardio, make sure you're eating.. A lot.

Good luck!

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009

lift heavy on leg press, like 3 or 4 sets of 10-12 reps till failure and you'll condition your heart/blood press and lungs like nothing else including running.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
You're roughly 158 pounds at 6 foot. You need to gain weight my friend. You don't weigh enough for your height.

You can do cardio, sure, to increase your stamina. But don't worry about how many calories your burning.

I'm 5'8" 160lb and I eat around 3000-3200 calories a day (and follow macros) and I'm trying to gain weight. I'm actually considering raising my caloric intake because the weight just isn't adding on.

If you start to do a lot of cardio, make sure you're eating.. A lot.

Good luck!

yeah its really hard for me to gain weight, ive weighed the same for like 10 years now ... even got checked for Hyperthyroidism (is that the english term?) but nothing

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Don't fret about the calorie goal for now. Just start working out using the app. After you have done one workout of a particular type the next time you start a new workout of that type it will show you how much you did last time.

Build up to it. Calories is just a number that indicates an amount of energy.

Your body burns something like 1800 - 2200 by breathing and keeping your heart beating every day. The goal you are setting is incremental calories.

If you had a weight loss goal the calories would mean more. You have to burn 3500 more calories than you eat to lose 1 lb. (The inverse works too).

Sounds to me you are more interested in improving cardio so you should make your goals more cardio based. Aerobic training. I forget exactly but I think the Awrobic zone peaks at about 70% of max.

220 minus your age is your max heart rate. 80% of that is the most you should train at and lower is better. So if you are 40 your max heart rate should be 180 and your training heart rate should be 144. 220-40=80*80%=144.

Ultimately you should consult a health professional about what you need to do so that you are not doing potential harm.

All of this. If you're just starting to work out, and you're starting with running (good for you, and running is an excellent choice), I recommend doing a program such as the beginning program from Runner's World or the Couch to 5k program and using the stats you get from your watch to help you learn where your baseline is and what's happening with your heart when you run. Run at a pace that feels comfortable to you, without worrying about your heart rate too much. Pay attention to how your body feels, and make sure to warm up, cool down, and stretch after your workout (the stretching is especially important).

Also, if you've been sedentary, make sure to get a clean bill of health from your doctor before beginning a workout program of any kind.

Also, FYI (since it bears on the conversation), I'm an ACE-certified personal trainer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.