Work Outlook account on my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AJKing, Apr 5, 2011.

1. AJKing macrumors member

AJKing

I've been searching all over the net trying to find a decent answer to this but nothing is working! I've got an iPhone 4 running 4.3 and my work uses nothing but Outlook which I can access through my (company owned, company setup) Acer laptop but I need this on my phone as well. I'm on the road all the time and don't always take my laptop with me. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Outlook is just a program, go to your IT people and ask how to configure our (likely exchange) mail on your phone.

3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

4. AJKing thread starter macrumors member

AJKing

I think where the problem lies is that in order for me to connect through Exchange (it's a .local server) even on the laptop, I have to connect to the business server through my home wifi. Once I get wifi I open a Network Connections icon on the desktop where I enter my username and password, then go to Exchange and enter my username and password.

5. Gjeepguy macrumors regular

You can probably set it up yourself...

In Outlook, go to:

Tools > Account Settings > Email

double click on your work email and it will open a dialog box that will tell you the name of your exchange server.

you already have your user name and password, so see if it works.

side note: on mine, i had to turn SSL off after saving the account on my phone.

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

You might need to create/setup a VPN connection to your work place. Then, merely setup an Exchange or normal email account. Then all you have to do is connect to your work VPN and you'll have access to your email.

This is how I do it, except we don't use Microsoft products thankfully.

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

In some cases(talk to your IT department about it), but usually not, you'll need to set up a VPN, but when you set it up as an Exchange account, you need the server and domain addresses. Then you'll need your email address and account login(my login matches my work computer login) and password.

8. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

if your company has web based access to your outlook like mine does, I use the app called Webmail++. Works like a charm.

9. MrMoore macrumors 6502

As other have said, check with your IT department. If they have an Exchange Server 2003 or above it can support ActiveSync. You can then add it through Settings/Mail, COntact, Calendars/Add Account/Mircosoft Exchange.

You would need to know the Exchange server name, your domain, username and password.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The ease (or difficulty) of setting this up is dependent on whether your IT department has an exchange server that is accessible from outside their firewall.

For instance, we use different exchange servers for internal traffic and a different set for outside traffic, so no VPN is required to retrieve our emails on our phones. I just plug in the server name, log in credentials and I'm off like a herd of turtles.

11. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I have asked before but IT wont help me at all after i mention iphone. Going to give this a try, would be so nice to have work email on this instead of the blackberry.

12. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

it may be certificate based (as is mine). in that case if IT won't help you, you're out of luck.

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I love it.

14. SharepointGuy macrumors member

SharepointGuy

This is pretty shocking in this day and age. Do they refuse to help because the iPhone isn't in the corporate standards or do they just hate Apple and are doing it to spite them?

If your IT department is giving you a hard time, I would definetly look into OWA (Outlook Web Access) and if your company is using it.

15. AJKing thread starter macrumors member

AJKing

So, I got it to work... Ends up I'm an idiot and just needed to change the server from .local to .com along the proper username and password; all simply through the Exchange option in Mail Settings on my iPhone. My boss laughed as he saw me get it setup in seconds once I realized the mistake in the server name.