work / pleasure mac's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kdm0505, Aug 4, 2014.

1. kdm0505 macrumors member

So I find myself in a predicament. I want to switch to all Mac's for work and pleasure but have some questions on to how to go about it.

My current setup is 2013 MBA 13" that I use as my personal computer. I do work on this computer when I am home as I have an external monitor that I hook it up to. When I am at home I like the versatility that my setup offers because I can use my MBA as a desktop or a laptop. In addition, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge laptop and I use it exclusively for work. It is okay, but not on the level of a mac and I dislike that it doesn't stay within the mac cloud.

My next move is to become all mac but unsure of what would be the best option. It seems like having two MBA's would be perfect (11 and 13), but this seems ridiculous...

Also my usage is really only typing and saving word documents, web browsing, streaming videos. No power user here.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I fail to see why you can't just use your existing MBA at home and work. It is portable. If you intend to share information between work and home it's much easier to deal with one computer than it is to keep two computers in sync. If there is some reason you need to keep separate computers, there is nothing wrong with owning two MBAs.

3. kdm0505 thread starter macrumors member

I technically could use one MBA for both. The reason I don't is because my work comp tends to get beat up more and I like to keep my personal computers nice. Also, hypothetically say I was watching a movie on my MBA at night and I fell asleep with it by my side. My laptop would not be charged for the next work day.

My thinkpad edge works fine for now. Thinking I may wait a few updates and transform my current MBA into my work comp and have the new tech as my personal. Thanks for the response