Work together online in pages?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nicker, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Nicker macrumors newbie

I'm new to mac and i was wondering...

Is it possible that 2 different mac users can edit the same file at the same time. So realtime editing online.

doesnt have to be pages, ms office and openoffice is okay too.

i've been searching online, but with no result.

Thnx alot, nicker

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's possible, but not wise. Pages (and other applications possibly) don't complain when two users open the same document at the same time, but you can't really collaboratively edit the document since the changes made by one person won't show up for the other, unless one saves and the other opens the newly saved version -- otherwise, you will be creating multiple versions.

Some text editors are designed to be collaborative. One is called Subethaedit.

http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/

This seems to be the commercial version of an earlier freeware application called Hydra, which can still be downloaded and seems to work even though it's five years old.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18956&vid=10928166

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Offhand, the only layout app that I'm aware of that can do this is QuarkXpress with its composition zones, a feature I've never personally used but reportedly quite powerful when working in groups.

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

You could use screensharing thru ichat but thats kludgy if you're not on the same network.

Online sevices google docs and MS office live both let you do what you want to do. Google docs works better imo for sharing.

5. Nicker thread starter macrumors newbie

wow thnx you guys for the quick reponse, i'm gonna try it all.:D