Work uses Gmail, question on OSX mail app

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JMB1911, Oct 2, 2011.

1. JMB1911 macrumors regular

Don't know if this is the right place.....

My work uses gmail for mail, I do not like the way Gmail looks so I would like to use the stock mail app in OSX

My boss said that is fine as long as it will sync up with the web-based gmail, in case he needs to take a look at something.

I am wondering if it is possible to set it up so that if I use my mail app in OSX it will keep track of everything in the gmail web mail.

For example, I will send and receive emails with the OSX mail app, and if I were to go to the web based gmail it would show all the emails that I had been sending and receiving....as if I was using the gmail all along?

thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can either set it up as an Exchange (Active Sync) or IMAP account, then everything you do on Mac Mail will be reflected on the web server. The setup instructions are in the Gmail settings.

TEG

3. JMB1911 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

4. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yup, add it as an exchange account. Turn on imap in gmail settings and it will work just as you want it.

5. waynep macrumors 6502

I have it setup as an IMAP account. I can use either Mac Mail app or the web interface. I can see everything in either location as it all stays sync'd on the server.