Workaround for GMail Push & Exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jw nyc, Jan 7, 2010.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I know it's not possible to set up GMail push AND an Exchange account on the same iPhone (they both use the activesync protocol and you can only have one at a time on the phone). But does anyone know of a workaround that doesn't involve forwarding your gmail to another account (ie: mobileme or yahoo)?

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Yeah - just forward your gmail to your mobileme email. Works great.

3. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

The reason I said "without forwarding" is b/c it doesn't sync contacts that way. So is there any OTHER workaround?

4. globalist macrumors 6502a

Gmail push is overrated and doesn't work half the time and emails take forever to sync. Just set up a regular Gmail account (which uses IMAP as far as I can tell) and set a 15-minute fetch and you're set and free to use Exchange sync for your actual MS Exchange account.

5. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I use an App called Boxcar to send push notifications for all my emails (works great) and that way I can still have my calendar and contacts synced between my Mac, my iPhone and Google using exchange... All seems to be working fine.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

But if you have mobileme you can just sync your contacts with mobileme. Is there a reason you don't want to sync your contacts with mobileme?

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I use the app Push Gmail which was worth the $1.99 or whatever that I paid for it. There are occasional outages, but overall it works great, with very little battery hit. Emails generally arrive on the phone faster than in my open browser window.