Workaround for snooze on calendar reminders?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ipadq, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Ipadq macrumors member

Does anyone have a workaround for the lack of snooze option on calendar reminders?

I have been a bb user for several years, and I'm seriously missing the ability to use the snooze option on my new i4. While this is not a deal breaker for me, I'm wondering if there are alternatives (other than a complete change of habit :D).

Since I'm pretty sure there are former bb users on this forum, and likely have faced the same situation , I am curious as to how you guys and gals are handling this transition.

And lastly, please respond only if you have been in this situation or know about a viable workaround.

2. Syk macrumors 6502a

I'm not a past BB user but I'm guessing you want to be able to see the alert and snooze it a little later when it's closer to the meeting time or whatever you have planned.

The only thing I can think of would be to when you add the event to your calendar,set up two alerts for it, maybe one 20 mins till the event and the other 5 mins till or what ever time frame you choose. That way you can close the first alert and wait till the 2nd one

Not exactly a snooze but I guess a poor mans work around

3. Ipadq thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I see only one alert for a new event on calendar. How do I add the second?

4. Syk macrumors 6502a

I havent tried it on my iphone4 but on my 3G when you add the alert for the 1st one when you're back on the screen that sets the time for the event and alerts it will put another line a say second alert

5. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

This is probably the only quibble I have about the iPhone, especially being a former BB user. As a matter of fact this is also the one negative I had about Android too.

There is an awesome PIM app named Pocket Informant but Im just waiting until they update it for 4.0 and then I will get it. Check it out.

6. TLewis macrumors 65816

Although the iPhone supports quite a few calendar features, like multiple reminders and weird event repeats (e.g., every 4 weeks), you can't create events with these features from the iPhone. You have to create the events using some other application (e.g., Google Calendar on the web).

For that matter, Google Calendar works really well on the iPhone (via Google's exchange support). You can also get push email with this.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

The second alert feature is right below the first one in edit mode. Open any calendar event to see it. And the ability to repeat events is on the same page, under "repeat"...anything from daily to weekly to yearly. ALL of this has been doable from the phone since the 1st generation iPhone. Google Calendar isn't necessary. Neither is using iCal from a computer.

For things that really need a snooze function, I set an alarm in the Clock app instead. Those you can snooze indefinitely, and they can also be set to repeat.

8. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

9. TLewis macrumors 65816

(Grrr, I hate how the iPhone works differently for seemingly identical things.)

OK, most events can have multiple reminders added via the iPhone, except for exchange-based calendars. Boo. :mad:

Repeats are an issue, though, as the iPhone interface only supports basic repeats (try creating a repeat for the 2nd Tuesday of each month). The iPhone supports weird repeats like this, but you can't create them using the iPhone's interface.

Still, cloud calendars like google, yahoo, mobileme, and other exchange-based providers are useful, because they're always backed up, as long as you have a data connection. With plain iPhone events, you're at the mercy of whenever you sync with iTunes. Also, if your iPhone is ever lost or stolen, getting your calendars back is a simple matter of logging in, and you won't have lost any changes since your last itunes sync.