Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
So, I've been using the same passcode on my iPhone for the last few months. Today I decided to change it. And once I did, I got busy for a while, then when I tried to unlock it, I had totally forgotten the new one.

After a few tries I got the 1 minute block time, then 5 minutes, then 15, and when I got the 60 minutes I started to freak out, I wasn't ready to lose all my photos and files.

When I connected my iPhone, even though it was still blocked, I was relieved to know that I was able to backup my photos/videos to iPhoto.

Then on iTunes I was also able to back it up and sync it. But to my surprise. When it was done syncing, the 60 minute block wasn't there anymore (and it was less than 10 minutes that I had blocked it). I tried different passwords a few more times. When I got the 1 minute block again, I synced it with iTunes, and I was immediately able to try my password again!

Jackpot! I was able to try as many times as I wanted without blocking it. I kept syncing it after the 5th try. And thankfully, after about 15 tries, I remembered the password. :D

I don't think I've read this before, because all websites just lead to the restore process, which is the only option if you've really really forgot about it. So I thought of sharing it here, maybe it'll help someone out of a problem.

And I think it's really dumb that Apple doesn't offer a way to restore the iOS passcode through the Apple ID. Maybe they're waiting for iOS 9 to implement it?

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Interesting. Probably the explanation would be, if you have access to the synching Mac/PC (which only can be one at a time AFAIK), then chances are, you are the owner, so no point on keep on blocking you exponentially.

It would be interesting indeed if one could unblock with the AppleID, ala Android (with the linked google account).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.