Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

telo123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
My previous post indicated that the command and shift keys stop working properly if you are typing on the iPad screen via UC using your Mac’s keyboard. I've experienced this myself today.

I'm on an M1 Air and iPad Pro 11 2021 on the latest public betas released 23-Feb-2022.

Accessories specifically used:
  1. Apple Magic Keyboard (no touch ID; the ones before iMac M1 were released)
  2. Logitech K380 Multi-device Keyboard
  3. Logitech MX Master 3
  4. AirPods Pro
  5. Bose QC 700
I've reported this to Apple, already.

WORKAROUND:

According to my own testing, the command and shift keys stop behaving appropriately when other input Bluetooth accessories, such as external keyboards and mice, are connected to the Mac. It will not work on either the internal Mac keyboard and external keyboards.

If you turn off Bluetooth or disconnect any Keyboard/Mice Bluetooth devices, the Command and Shift keyboard commands from the Mac begin to be functional on the iPad again.

Notes:
  1. Switching Logitech MX master 3 from Bluetooth to USB input instead does not affect Command and Shift Key functionality on the iPad (i.e., these keys will still work).
  2. Connecting to AirPods or any other headphones does not affect Command and Shift key functionality.
Let me know if this works for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: hitiek and yitwail

cubful

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2022
So I was just about to install the beta to try universal control. I want to attach my MacBook to the monitor and close it and use my MX master 3 and the iPad's keyboard folio as input devices (mouse + keyboard).

Are you saying this is not going to work unless I attach the mouse using a cable?

telo123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
So I was just about to install the beta to try universal control. I want to attach my MacBook to the monitor and close it and use my MX master 3 and the iPad's keyboard folio as input devices (mouse + keyboard).

Are you saying this is not going to work unless I attach the mouse using a cable?
I just tested this now. If your input device (keyboard and or the mouse) are connected directly to your iPad and not your Mac (i.e., you are using UC to control your Mac from your iPad) via Bluetooth or wired, then you shouldn’t have a problem.

I do hope Apple fixes this because I do use clamshell mode a lot with the external magic keyboard.

cubful

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2022
I just tested this now. If your input device (keyboard and or the mouse) are connected directly to your iPad and not your Mac (i.e., you are using UC to control your Mac from your iPad) via Bluetooth or wired, then you shouldn’t have a problem.

I do hope Apple fixes this because I do use clamshell mode a lot with the external magic keyboard.
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I want to use the MacBook Pro using clamshell mode as well and use my iPad Pro's smart keyboard folio as the main keyboard along the Logitech MX Master 3.

The Smart Keyboard folio is my favourite keyboard of all time and I have been super psyched about using it with MacOS!

cubful

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2022

hey, I am trying it right now.

My Logitech MX master 3 mouse is connected to my iPad. I can use my Smart folio Keyboard and this is incredible for me. Thanks to your workaround.

Setup:
- MacBook Pro 16 inch (M1 pro), 16 gig of ram
- iPad Pro 2018 (4 gig of ram) in a smart folio keyboard case
- MX Master 3

I have noticed few issues so far:
  1. the Logitech MX master 3 doesn't scroll on my Mac when the mouse is connected to my iPad, it can only scroll without problems on the iPad. Similarly, if the mouse is connected to my Mac, I can't use the wheel to scroll on the iPad using the mouse's wheel.
  2. the iPad's keyboard works very smoothly across devices, the only problem is when I want to switch the typing language (my iPad keyboard is bilingual), I have to press the globe key many times in repetitions to get it to change the language; it does work eventually, but as someone who chats to people with different languages, this is definitely a noticeable issue.
  3. you're absolutely right, if I connect the MX master 3 to my MacBook, I can't use my iPad's smart Folio keyboard for some reason, the workaround is to connect the MX master 3 to my iPad, that way, I can use the iPad's mouse and the iPad keyboard to control the setup. However, the downside of connecting the MX master 3 to my iPad is that I can't use the scrolling wheel on my Mac which is a shame.

The major issue for me so far is the scrolling wheel not working properly, the best workaround for this problem is to scroll using the option+arrow down or up shortcuts until a solution is provided. I downloaded the latest version of Logi Options but it doesn't mention anything about Universal control, I downloaded the latest beta version of Logi options but it doesn't offer any universal control specific features.

I am going to send feedback to both Apple and Logitech.

Last edited:

ignic

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2021
Spain
Following your advice, I have connected my Logitech MX Keys and Master 3 to the mac using the logitech unifying receiver, instead of bluetooth, and now all the modifier keys work correctly. Thank you for the tip!

Reactions: eyeseeyou

telo123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
The major issue for me so far is the scrolling wheel not working properly, the best workaround for this problem is to scroll using the option+arrow down or up shortcuts until a solution is provided. I downloaded the latest version of Logi Options but it doesn't mention anything about Universal control, I downloaded the latest beta version of Logi options but it doesn't offer any universal control specific features.

It is a known issue for external mice. In the release notes that external mice and keyboards will have problems with scrolling or “additional functionality.” It doesn't work the other way around, either (i.e., connected to Mac and trying to scroll on the iPad using the MX Master 3). I can only scroll on the iPad with my Mac via the trackpad.

On Apple's notes for the latest beta:

Some third-party keyboards and mice might encounter issues when using additional functionality, like scroll wheels. (88106362)
Seems like it is an active issue that Apple is trying to fix. They have to fix it before it is released to the public, as this will disrupt a lot of people's workload if they do not read the threads of potential workarounds.

Overall, thanks for giving feedback to both Logitech and Apple. It's nice you are enjoying it, despite some fixes that need to be done!

Following your advice, I have connected my Logitech MX Keys and Master 3 to the mac using the logitech unifying receiver, instead of bluetooth, and now all the modifier keys work correctly. Thank you for the tip!
Yay, I'm glad it works. I do hope Apple fixes this and works natively regardless of the connection.

C_B_E

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2022
My previous post indicated that the command and shift keys stop working properly if you are typing on the iPad screen via UC using your Mac’s keyboard. I've experienced this myself today.

I'm on an M1 Air and iPad Pro 11 2021 on the latest public betas released 23-Feb-2022.

Accessories specifically used:
  1. Apple Magic Keyboard (no touch ID; the ones before iMac M1 were released)
  2. Logitech K380 Multi-device Keyboard
  3. Logitech MX Master 3
  4. AirPods Pro
  5. Bose QC 700
I've reported this to Apple, already.

WORKAROUND:

According to my own testing, the command and shift keys stop behaving appropriately when other input Bluetooth accessories, such as external keyboards and mice, are connected to the Mac. It will not work on either the internal Mac keyboard and external keyboards.

If you turn off Bluetooth or disconnect any Keyboard/Mice Bluetooth devices, the Command and Shift keyboard commands from the Mac begin to be functional on the iPad again.

Notes:
  1. Switching Logitech MX master 3 from Bluetooth to USB input instead does not affect Command and Shift Key functionality on the iPad (i.e., these keys will still work).
  2. Connecting to AirPods or any other headphones does not affect Command and Shift key functionality.
Let me know if this works for you!
Having the same issue. MBP 16" 2019 in clamshell mode, the "old" Magic Keyboard and a Logitech MX Master 3, both connected via Bluetooth. No modifier keys functioning on my iPad Pro 2nd gen. Other than the Bluetooth connection will not work for me, so hoping there will be a bugfix soon.
Thanks for having that reported to Apple!

Reactions: telo123

jbryantmanning

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Durham, NC
Still an issue on RC 12.3. In my experience, scrolling on MX Master 3, Shift, and Command are all broken. This is not to mention the still missing (though expected) ability to adjust extra mouse buttons.

originalmagneto

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2015
Slovakia
I use the Apple Magic Keyboard (connected through the lightning cable, but appears to be connected by BT still), Magic Mouse and iPad Pro 12.9 (M1) with the magic keyboard attachment with trackpad. The modifier keys wont work. Tried switching off BT completely on the Mac and it still wont work. Bummer :/

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
is this limited to 3rd party keyboards, MacBooks, or non M1 iPads?

I am not experiencing these issues on a 12.9” M1 iPad and my Mac Studio using the Apple keyboard and trackpad wirelessly.

It also works correctly if I used the iPad’s magic keyboard to control the Mac. The iPad’s magic keyboard is plugged into my Studio Display, but the smart connector doesn’t supply data, only power.

telo123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
Still an issue on RC 12.3. In my experience, scrolling on MX Master 3, Shift, and Command are all broken. This is not to mention the still missing (though expected) ability to adjust extra mouse buttons.
If you update to Logi Options Beta (the universal update), scrolling on the iPad via UC begins to work. It’s not perfectly smooth, but at least this way you have functionality.

I use the Apple Magic Keyboard (connected through the lightning cable, but appears to be connected by BT still), Magic Mouse and iPad Pro 12.9 (M1) with the magic keyboard attachment with trackpad. The modifier keys wont work. Tried switching off BT completely on the Mac and it still wont work. Bummer :/
I sadly don’t have the magic keyboard with the trackpad for my iPad to come up with something, but have you tried using UC without that case on?

The magic keyboard should be using USB when connected that way, so it’s odd that you’re experiencing this.

When I updated to the latest macOS and iPadOS, I haven’t experienced these problems anymore. Are you sure you’re on the latest OS on both devices?
is this limited to 3rd party keyboards, MacBooks, or non M1 iPads?

I am not experiencing these issues on a 12.9” M1 iPad and my Mac Studio using the Apple keyboard and trackpad wirelessly.

It also works correctly if I used the iPad’s magic keyboard to control the Mac. The iPad’s magic keyboard is plugged into my Studio Display, but the smart connector doesn’t supply data, only power.
I just think there was something that was interfering on the software with regards to those modifier keys. I think Apple may have silently fixed it with the latest update.

Reactions: StudioMacs

telo123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
hey, I am trying it right now.

My Logitech MX master 3 mouse is connected to my iPad. I can use my Smart folio Keyboard and this is incredible for me. Thanks to your workaround.

Setup:
- MacBook Pro 16 inch (M1 pro), 16 gig of ram
- iPad Pro 2018 (4 gig of ram) in a smart folio keyboard case
- MX Master 3

I have noticed few issues so far:
  1. the Logitech MX master 3 doesn't scroll on my Mac when the mouse is connected to my iPad, it can only scroll without problems on the iPad. Similarly, if the mouse is connected to my Mac, I can't use the wheel to scroll on the iPad using the mouse's wheel.
  2. the iPad's keyboard works very smoothly across devices, the only problem is when I want to switch the typing language (my iPad keyboard is bilingual), I have to press the globe key many times in repetitions to get it to change the language; it does work eventually, but as someone who chats to people with different languages, this is definitely a noticeable issue.
  3. you're absolutely right, if I connect the MX master 3 to my MacBook, I can't use my iPad's smart Folio keyboard for some reason, the workaround is to connect the MX master 3 to my iPad, that way, I can use the iPad's mouse and the iPad keyboard to control the setup. However, the downside of connecting the MX master 3 to my iPad is that I can't use the scrolling wheel on my Mac which is a shame.

Just to follow up — if you download and updated to the latest Logitech Options Beta that was made native, scrolling functionality from the MX master 3 started to work.

doom.loop

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2022
Hello - just wanted to drop a note. This thread came up when I searched for problems I was having. I found a fix that worked for me.

My equipment:
  • Macbook Air M1
  • 2018 iPad Pro
  • Hardwired keyboard (to MacBook)
  • Logitech MX Master 3 (bluetooth to MacBook)
Everything worked fine for me, including the MX's scroll. However, modifier keys (shift, command) never worked on the iPad, despite being on all current software.

Solution:
On the iPad, go to Settings -> Accessibility -> Keyboards -> Enable "Full Keyboard Access"

This immediately solved the problem.

I made an account just to leave this solution. Apologies if I broke any rules. Have a nice day, everybody.

Cam Sromur

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
Hello - just wanted to drop a note. This thread came up when I searched for problems I was having. I found a fix that worked for me.

My equipment:
  • Macbook Air M1
  • 2018 iPad Pro
  • Hardwired keyboard (to MacBook)
  • Logitech MX Master 3 (bluetooth to MacBook)
Everything worked fine for me, including the MX's scroll. However, modifier keys (shift, command) never worked on the iPad, despite being on all current software.

Solution:
On the iPad, go to Settings -> Accessibility -> Keyboards -> Enable "Full Keyboard Access"

I made an account just to leave this solution. Apologies if I broke any rules. Have a nice day, everybody.
Thank you, Doom. This fixed the problem that was driving me toward doom. I neglected to think that the problem may have been with the iPad settings. Good lesson today.

Reactions: doom.loop

metalsquid

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2008
Solution:

Thank you so so so much. Now I can use my external BT keyboard connected to my MB in clamshell mode and Shift is now working on the iPad. I will not be going mad this day!

utente__mac

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2015
Solution:
Thank you so much! It did solve my issue. Now I can use the Shift key without turning off my Logi mouse (which was quite a peculiar workaround).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.