Workflow help with iPhoto & LR4

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by trs0722, Apr 29, 2012.

1. trs0722 macrumors member

Hello everyone. I recently bought a Nikon D5100 and have still not decided on the workflow I want to stick with. I really like iPhoto, at least for importing new pics and storing them until eventual transfer to DVD for backup. However, as you all know, the editing side is very limited. I've experimented with several editing programs and think I'm ready to go with Lightroom 4. (Getting tired of waiting for news on Aperture 4; plus I found 3 slow and it occasionally froze).

I usually shoot in RAW but am not sure what format and where to save the edited pics. I would like to be able to view them on our Apple TV thru iTunes/iPhoto. I don't think LR4 works with it but Aperture will. My workflow thought was to import new pics to iPhoto, export them to LR4 for editing, and then export the edited files back to iPhoto in a smaller file (i.e. JPG). However, I can't seem to export back to iPhoto from LR4...it doesn't look like it's an export option. Can anyone help with this issue? I know I could just get used to LR4 but like many people, I kinda got used to iPhoto and like its simplicity.

Also, I don't think the original unedited RAW file is important enough to keep. Or is it? I'm not a professional and basically edit all keepers. In LR4, there's a preset "export to DNG" but the file is still really big. Can anyone comment about this issue too? I assume JPEG will be fine.

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Just forget about iPhoto. If you're using Lightroom, you don't need it.

There's no need to save edits in Lightroom. The raw files don't change when using Lightroom. Instead, a description of what you do/did to the raw file is stored automatically by Lightroom.

Reading the Lightroom instructions will help you.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

I also don't recommend using both iPhoto and Lr. They basically do the same thing - managing your digital images - and include some editing features. It's just that Lr is much more complete package than iPhoto. However, Lr is not considered an image editor.

I recommend you shoot RAW. A RAW file has all the data that a camera generated at the time of exposure. As soon as you convert it to TIFF or or JPG you lose some of that info. You lose more info if you convert it to JPG. Especially if you are still learning the craft you want to keep as much info as possible. One day you will want to go back to a picture that is "OK" and make it better with some new skills. RAW will give you a much better chance to do that than other formats. Also know that Adobe's DNG file format (created by Lr for instance) preserves all the information in the RAW file is you have shot RAW. (This may make more sense as you work with Lr some more than it does right at the moment.)

I can't help with viewing through iTunes or an ATV - 'cause I don't do that. But I can help with Lr.

With Lr your images get catalogued. This is a really really important concept. When you "import" in Lr you are merely creating a catalogue entry in it's database. If you are importing from a memory card Lr will also move the files off the card for you as a courtesy. If you are importing from the HDD then it can either move the images to a Lr folder or leave them in place... it doesn't care. However - it's the entry in the catalogue that makes it an "import".

After that Lr never touches the image. All of those editing changes you make are merely notes in the database. The image itself is never touched. The "finished" version of the image is not created until you "export" the image. As stated by fa8362 you never save a file in Lr...

To get images for iTunes and your ATV you may need to "export" finished images into a specific folder that you point those two applications at. Keep in mind that your RAW files will be much bigger than you need for displaying that way, so set up an export preset that creates a JPG image sized appropriately.

Also know that iPhoto works the same way. It uses a database to record the edits you make and does not alter the original images. Both iPhoto and Lr use "non-destructive" editing. Applications such as Photoshop (which is an editor) uses "destructive" editing. By default the final version is written on top of the previous version.

Luck.

4. trs0722 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Yeah...it's looking like to make the switch to LR4, it will be easier to forget about iPhoto. I'm constantly reading up and practicing with LR4...so much to it.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Honestly... I love Lr. It is an incredibly powerful tool, and it can take a long time to even start really using it well. The Adobe Help pages for Lr are your best source of information. Other pages on the web may or may not be good - and the problem is you won't know if the advice sounds good but is wrong.... or.... so stick to the Adobe pages for now. However, those posts are often written by Lr pros and you can then follow the links back to their own blogs - and those are also a really good source of information.

Don't fight Lr. You have to do things the Lr way, or you will be constantly frustrated. It's not always the best - of course. But it will be efficient. And you'll get used to doing it their way.

I can say that Lr has made me a better photographer. I spend much less time stressed about my images, how to find them, what to do with them, etc and can now spend more time enjoying the actual taking of photos.

Luck.

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I use both. LR3 and iPhoto. iPhoto for me connects my images to my clients. One thing I'm gonna miss with iPhoto and MobileMe is iGallery. I can send images to family/friends/clients and they can choose which to download or just view. I've been using iPhoto since it came out. What I didn't like in the beginning is that if you use the backup system for iPhoto, your catolgue names would not be recognized in the updated versions. So, after that mishap I started just dragging my images to a folder on the DVD, label the folder an event name. Then take a sharpie and label on the DVD the event name and date and as much info I can on the disc.

Lightroom 3 lots of editing/processing my RAW images. I get those RSS feeds to my mailbox from Lightroom Killer Tips. You get a lot of plugins and filters from there site. Also follow on youtube, Fro Knows Foto and Adam Learner.

http://lightroomkillertips.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/AdamLernerPhoto
    http://www.youtube.com/JaredPolin

Aperture I find helpful too. I think I will get Aperture 4 and LR4 after I update to iCloud.

7. trs0722 thread starter macrumors member

Good points about LR...thanks everyone. It is pretty awesome and seems to be more flexible and powerful than Aperture. My 30 day trial is over but somehow I can still use parts of it. Will probably be buying it soon. Hundreds/thousands of photographers can't be wrong!

8. 1herm4matrix macrumors newbie

I use both in my workflow. Import from cf card into iphoto, dump images i dont want after import. Name the "event", export images from iphoto to a temp folder in RAW format (original) so i can then import into LR ONLY the images i want to post process. Once done in LR i can bring them back into iphoto (into the same event)so i can share with ATV and other devices. Im LR3 i was abel to import direct from iphoto but after LR4, i had to creat a temp folder before Lr4 would even see the images.

9. trs0722 thread starter macrumors member

Here's an update, for anyone still seeking help. I went and bought LR4 and think I've settled on a pretty good system. However, I'm sure it could be better if anyone else has any ideas.

Despite unchecking "copy items to iPhoto Library" under import preferences, iPhoto still pops up when I put my SD card in. Since I don't really care to keep tons of images on my SD card, I use iPhoto's delete photos from card option after import. LR4 doesn't really allow you to do this that I'm aware. I import into iPhoto and LR4, applying lens correction to all pics.

Once I'm done reviewing, rejecting, and editing in LR4, I export most/all of them back to iPhoto using a preset for Apple TV where they convert to JPG and the resolution lowers to approximately match our HDTV (1920 x1080). This way, I have great edited photos that are a much smaller file and look awesome on our TV. These new files simply replace the original RAW photos in iPhoto, which are then just deleted. Like the last poster, I also have a folder for pictures from iPhoto to LR. This comes in handy for older pictures that I want to improve in LR.

I also like burning images to DVD in iPhoto (bar with space remaining is nice). I tried saving pics to DVD in LR4 but couldn't easily see how much space the files were taking up. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. Anyone try this? Also, for some reason, several weeks more of pictures were saved than I chose. So, I think I did something wrong.