Workflow to DSLR to FCPX...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acearchie, Jul 6, 2011.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Hi guys,

I am just trying to work something out.

I have a 32GB SD card and not enough space to offload it all onto my drive at the moment to reformat it but as I used it in a different camera before all the files are not quite in the traditional canon file structure.

As it is, these files aren't being recognised in FCPX in 'import from camera' and when I select 'import files' the card is greyed out.

What I was wondering is does FCPX recognise the DSLR card and can it import the files if it has the traditional canon file structure?

If not what workflow are you currently using to import the footage? Copying across the h.264 files and just importing them to your event?

2. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

This is the explanation for the card being grayed out.

Why not get a FW800 external hard drive. A G-Tech is a good unit, 1 Tb for about $160.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Sorry maybe I didn't make myself clear. I physically have enough space but only by a few GBs and I don't really want my Mac running on a few Gigs for a bit.

I've got a terebyte eSata in my Mac Pro but I haven't installed FCP X on it yet.

I just wanted to check whether if the card had the proper file structure it would be recognised in FCP X or not before I decide to waste time reformatting the card.

Thanks.

4. WiLLGT09 macrumors regular

WiLLGT09

I use a DSLR for video and have a 32GB card as well. I typically copy all media from the cf card to my hard drive first before importing into FCPX as it's faster than my USB card reader. Importing into FCPX copies the media files from my internal SSD to my external FW800 work drive.

That said, FCPX can read the card structure of a Canon DSLR memory card, but it will give you errors when it attempt to import all those sidecar .thm (?) files. It'll just say "can't import these files" or "didn't import unrecognized files" or something of that nature.

Also, since you said you don't have enough space on your drive at the moment to copy all the media off the card, are you planing to have FCPX not move the files into the Events folder and just edit off the CF card?