workflow with Premier

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by islanders, Jul 12, 2011.

1. islanders macrumors 6502

I would appreciate some suggestions for working with Premier. At the time I'm using a MBP 13 i5 8gb ram, Canon HV 40 and Premier Pro 5.5.

What are the limitations with this set up? Would I want work with native resolution? I'm not sure at what point does the size of the file or work load becomes a limitation? For example would it be reasonable to use my MBP and an external drive if I'm making a documentary? Apparently Premier doesn't have the prores codac. It can use Avid DNX yet there would be compromise is video quality for some formats. At what point would that be a limitation?

I also have access to some audio equipment.

What is the first thing you would improve on this set up? Is it a huge mismatch? I could add another camera/computer in the future. Would it be too limited for local broadcast HD, making a HD DVD for sale, or getting paid for events or a commercial? (I didn't buy it for this but just trying to get a better understanding of the limitations, which I'm hoping is me.) :) Should I consider FCP X instead? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. mBox macrumors 68020

First off there is not compromise using Avids DNxHD, specially 220x which is 10bit.
    The compromise would be if you were to use a lower setting for the sake of editing on a slower (laptop) system. We have proven that this isnt true since we edit R3D (RED 4K resolution) files on a 2010 MBP and Avid MC 5.5.
    The only time Ive seen the ProRES codec from within Premiere is when I had both FCP and CS5 on the same system.
    Investigate if the codec is available as a stand alone.
    If your just starting out then your lucky.
    You dont have to worry about multiple formats and stupid hardware tricks :p
    You get to learn and create :)

3. pcmxa macrumors regular

pcmxa

I believe if you go here http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396 you can download the Prores codec in all of its flavors. That should allow Premier to use them. I am not positive since I have both FCP and Premier and the Prores being available to Premier could be from that.

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Well ProRES is a QT codec. If you installed an app that uses special codec itll be almost certain (I say that cause I found a few that dont work this way) that itll work on Adobe.

5. islanders thread starter macrumors 6502

A few threads have pointed out that you need to have FCP installed on a Mac computer to have full access to ProRes.

Here is who source who is a certified Premier trainer.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/913067#913067

"You can't encode (render out/export, etc.) to ProRes unless you are on a Mac with FCP installed...or you have a system with SDI, HDMI, or analog component HD output and an external recording device lika an AJA KiPro."

Another thread said that the Avid DNxHD was 8bit so good to learn of the 10bit. So I'll most likely use that one if necessary as it is good as ProRes and Avid allows free access to it.

Still uncertain of how Premiere will handle audio? I don't need the entire suite but don't know how I'll go about the audio with Premiere, if there are other options or if Premiere will be good enough for free lance work as a stand alone?

6. mBox macrumors 68020

The only comment I have with the audio that it works :(
    Thats as far as I can say.
    We use Protools for audio and most cases the Avid does it all for us.
    I think it depends on what your dealing with. If its docs and is not for major broadcast you should be fine.
    But I do understand that its good to know if the software your sleeping with can at least do some of the more important things ;)

7. pcmxa macrumors regular

pcmxa

I went to the link you mentioned and I am not sure it is entirely accurate. I think the reason you need FCP installed to access prores is that the codecs initially only came with FCP. When Apple released FCPx they also released a pack of codecs that could be downloaded. People have downloaded these and have successfully encoded to Prores using iMovie and other programs. Once the codecs are installed they should be available to any computer with the ability to write quicktime formats. the only reason I am not certain is because I have FCP (and FCPx) installed. I think I might uninstall them and see if the are still there.

You can render to Prores, directly from Premier (see attached screen shot).

The audio in Premier is acceptable. A few basic filters and transitions. Nothing fancy, but enough for basic projects. For good sound you will need SoundBooth or Audition (or any DAW).

Attached Files: