Working 9800 GTX Kexts

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ColinEC, Apr 11, 2008.

1. ColinEC macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I was browsing the "Graphics Card" section over at InsanelyMac to see if there were any new community-graphics card drviers, and I found a new thread that I thought was really cool:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=98666

This guy managed to get the GeForce 9800 GTX to work under Leopard.

I don't know if a GeForce 9800 GTX will even boot under a mac pro (or if it's even possible to install a 9800 into a Mac Pro), but it is a nice step into trying to get the 9XXX-series working :D

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The 9800GTX uses the same GPU core as the 8800 I believe, so it should be possible to get it working in a Mac Pro.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Eh... but that's brilliant! :eek:

Waiting for more to do so.... and, I'll probably be doing that... :cool:

4. knome macrumors 6502

knome

So it only works under osx86? Damn... I installed a 9800 in my mac pro and it works under boot camp. It shows up in osx as a VGA compliant device.

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Thats for a hackintosh, do the kexts for hacks work on real macs? If so then I dont know why people are buying (and waiting for) the overpriced mac 8800gt when they can just use a PC card with nvinject/natit/titan. Almost every PC card out there works with osx86.

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Indeed but real Macs need cards with an EFI rom. That's the problem.

However you can find PC Geforce 8800 GT with a 1mbit rom that can fit both BIOS and EFI.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If you are skilled in surface mount soldering techniques, you can probably take any one of a variety of G92-based video cards, swap out the EEPROM chip with a higher capacity pin compatible model - then flash in the BIOS and EFI for a dual OS compatible card...