Working Apple 1 Computer Sells for Record $905,000 at Auction

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A rare working Apple 1 computer has sold for a record $905,000 at a Bonhams auction in New York, reports Reuters. Estimates suggested the motherboard might fetch between $300,000 and $500,000, but it ended up selling for far more.

[​IMG]
    The motherboard is believed to be one of approximately 50 Apple 1 computers that were originally constructed by Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak in Steve Jobs' garage for sale in The Byte Shop. The motherboard is numbered "01-0070."

Few Apple 1 computers survive today, and the one sold at the New York auction has fetched the highest price seen yet. The buyer of the computer remains unknown. Each Apple 1 originally sold for $666.66, and approximately 200 total units were produced.

Last year, two working Apple 1 computers complete with their original cardboard box were sold by German auction house Breker. One of the machines sold for $330,000, while a second fully functional Apple 1 computer sold for $671,400 as it included a letter from Steve Jobs intended for its original owner.

Update: Reuters has updated its article to note that the winning bidder was the Henry Ford Museum.

Article Link: Working Apple 1 Computer Sells for Record $905,000 at Auction

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Nice investment had you purchased one when Jobs sold them.

3. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

Just out of curiosity...what kind of computing did the Apple 1 do?

4. scott911 macrumors 6502a

none of those chips are soldered in - it's no wonder that it costs nearly a million.

5. Yvan256 macrumors 603

Yvan256

Not only that, but surface-mount technology didn't exist back then. And everybody knows that PCB holes are expensive!

6. ImSoSad macrumors newbie

wait till the buyer realizes you cant load brazzers hd on this

7. Cheruman macrumors member

Cheruman

That's all well and good, but how many Safari tabs can you open without them reloading?

8. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

The buyer should have waited for the Apple 1S, amirite?

9. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

10. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Can't even run OS 7 and Kid Pix? Pfffffft, pass.

----------

Apple stock was a better investment. Those of us that bought back when it was less than $5 a share made many times the return of buying and selling that Apple 1. :D

11. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

How much for a first model of a windows pc? (Assuming a working one still exist) lol

12. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Can you imagine being one of those people that threw their Apple 1 boards in the trash?

13. Solver macrumors 6502a

WOW! But, still keeping my working Processor Technology Sol-20.

14. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

15. scarecrowmac macrumors member

scarecrowmac

Was it 50 or 200? Or am I missing something?

16. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

The first PC's didn't run Windows but DOS. Bought by Bill, reworked and sold to IBM. A master stroke.

17. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I'm assuming that means 50 originally constructed for The BYTE Shop, about 200 in total.

18. theloon macrumors member

theloon

disgraceful use of money

ffs. Not much else to say

#DISGUSTINGOPULENCE

19. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

This is not the equivalent of an original IBM PC. Not even close. The original IBM PC is much more equivalent (in timeframe/production numbers/etc, not in computing power,) to an Apple IIe.

*VERY* few Apple 1s were made (less than 10,000 for certain; this is from the very first 'production' run of less than 500.) The original IBM PC was made by the hundreds of thousands, with tens of thousands in the very first production run. (And made in a factory, not in a garage.)

Nothing from IBM's computing history would come close to an Apple 1 in rarity or status.

There are plenty of original IBM PCs (model 5150) in service today. Mostly by collectors, but some in actual daily use as computers. I know a small company that still uses one to run their payroll. Because it does exactly what it needs to do, they don't see any reason to stop using it.

The HP-01 calculator watch might be a close equivalent - a "first of its kind" product with low production numbers. Although much more common than an Apple 1, they do sell for a few thousand dollars when they pop up.

----------

You spent money on a device you used to type that - when there are starving children around the world that your money could have fed.

What a disgusting display of conspicuous consumption.

People are free to spend their money on whatever they want. Many of the ultra-rich give a higher percentage of their income and wealth to charities than many of the middle class.

20. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

People with money give more. In other news, the sky has clouds and the sun is bright. More at 11.

21. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

Exactly. I'm not poor, but I'm certainly not rich (my household makes almost precisely the household average income for where I live.) I consider myself a "fiscal moderate, social liberal." I believe that government can and should be a force for good, and that paying taxes are an important part of that; therefore I believe that taxes should be progressive (the rich paying a higher percentage of their income in taxes than the poor.) So I am by no means a "the rich should do whatever they want" sort.

Yet at the same time, with personal money, the rich *SHOULD* be able to use that money to purchase things they want. I have a friend who is an artist, and while she isn't able to make a living at it, when she sells the occasional painting to a (generally rich) person for $10,000, it makes a serious bump in her quality of living for the year. Should the rich person have sent that money to the poor? I don't care. If the rich person wants to spend $1,000,000 on a yacht, or a vintage car, or a third vacation house, or a vintage Apple 1, who am I to say that is in appropriate?

Now, if they want to spend it to buy up a local park and turn it in to a parking lot; or to try to get a law passed that would hurt education funding, THEN I'll have a problem with it...

(Sorry for the political rant. If mods feel like deleting all of the political comments, I won't complain.)

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member