Working at Microsoft v Apple

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ps88jk, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ps88jk macrumors newbie

Aussie Microsoft headquarters

Just got sent this video from my mate - day in the life of Microsoft employee

They get to play Xbox and go on Facebook and Twitter haha sweetttt

What do you guys think about working at Microsoft vs working at Apple?

2. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Before I start, I haven't worked for either company, so this isn't first hand, but....

Microsoft/Apple/Whoever are likely to play up the 'fun' aspects of the job in any marketing they send out to attract new employees. Nobody is going to apply if it looks any other way. However, they are still companies and companies are interested in making money. They aren't making money while you are on Twitter and playing X-Box. Although it may help morale, you're not really getting anything done. If you aren't generating more income for the company than they are paying you then you are not worth keeping on board. If your job is twittering, you are going to have to work hard to show that you are making it worth the companies while. It all comes down to the bottom line.

I would expect that in reality there are a lot of late nights, working weekends etc. to hit tight deadlines just like anywhere else. Personally, I don't envy people who work for big corporations like this.

3. iOrlando macrumors 68000

"They get to play Xbox and go on Facebook and Twitter haha sweetttt"

hmm..rightttttttttt

4. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Microsoft has cut its workforce recently.
    I wouldn't be playing XBOX if I worked there.
    I'd be busy working!
    Trying to keep from being laid off.

5. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Hahahaha, what, you thought that they actually worked at Microsoft? Why do you think everything they make sucks so much? (And the Xbox is their only decent product, guess why, they're always using it!)

6. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I know 2 different guys that work for Microsoft as programmers. From what I gather they make you work hard like most other companies. I also know a guy who works for Google in CA. I'd much rather prefer to work there even if it still involves hard work. Just not the same "Evil Empire" feeling.

7. ethical macrumors 68000

Fanboy much?

That's a very definitive opinion you have there. If everything they make sucks SO BAD then why are their products so popular? They must have got something right.

8. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

He's an intern so of course he's not going to be doing anything. lol

9. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Because they're cheap. Easy.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What are Windows 7 and Office cheap compared too?

Lethal

11. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

How about a nice list?

Windows 7 - Cheap with new computers, ignorance
    Microsoft Office - Monopoly
    MSN - Monopoly, ignorance
    Xbox 360 - Early release date, better cross-platform graphics [Only Success]
    IE - Monopoly, ignorance
    Visual Studio - .NET Development Monopoly

Anything else?

12. ethical macrumors 68000

Haha my thinking exactly! They're at least double the price of the Apple equivalents.

Your arrogance astounds me. Nevertheless, the rise and fall of various other operating systems and software packages, should be proof enough that only the good and stable survive. Microsoft has survived (and will continue to) for a damn long time.

I'm not saying they're perfect, but they wouldn't be relied upon so heavily all across the world if everything they made was a load of s***e.

13. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Having had many job offers from Microsoft over the years, their anti-iPod attitude in the US and restrictions on using certain non-Microsoft products are things which kept myself from working for them. What good is XBox/Social Networking going to do when you're stuck using Microsoft products in the office due to management pressure?

...I'd rather work for EA than Microsoft, at least EA is open about being the axis of evil in the gaming world by destroying innovation one studio at a time or buying exclusive rights to specific sports.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

So, now you are saying MS products are used widely for a variety of reasons? Try not to throw your back out moving the goalposts so fast.

Lethal

15. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Whoah...
    take a chill pill, kids.

We have to realize people use the Windows platform for various reasons. Some can't afford Apple products and there's nothing wrong with that.

IMO Windows 7 is very stable, and easily comparable to Snow Leopard.

A good portion of Apple's sales last fiscal were to businesses. I'm an accounting grad student and I see more professors using Macs than when I was a computer science major.

16. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Send one of those job offers my way. I'd work for the beast if it meant a steady paycheck.
    I know C, C++, Java... circa 2000...
    It couldn't have changed that much.

I think you two need to cool off for a few minutes.

17. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Microsoft haven't survived because they have a good and stable product. Windows is mediocre software at best and have literally lowered users' expectations of operating systems and software in general.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yes, they have. You don't get to be the size of MS on just "luck". You need to have a good product. That you disagree is irrelevant. There are always people that do not like a particular company's products. However, their stock reflects what people think of the company.
    Hardly. Windows it what revolutionized the PC. It is what brought all hardware to come together to run a common OS. With that, there is common SW development and so on. Before that, it was a unique OS per vendor.

19. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

QFT

20. ethical macrumors 68000

Kids? Thanks for the condescending attitude ;)

I guess I did get a little wound up. It just annoys me when people think Apple are the Gods of the computing industry, and Microsoft are the inferior no-bodies who roll around in the mud, and chuck a piece of their s*** onto the shelves every now and then. I love Apple products, but they certainly wouldn't be as good as they are today without the competition of Microsoft driving them forward.

21. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

It's not that Apple is the god or anything, it's simply that Microsoft's products suck. it doesn't matter what they're compared with.

Yes, the crap is useful because it forces innovation among toilet cleaning chemicals, yet that doesn't change the fact that it's still...crap.

22. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

the free market is a wonderful thing.

Let's not forget, the Classic OS was crap. Microsoft for various reasons is dominant and people have to accept that for now. Sometimes they're unfair (the XML office format standardization debacle), but alot of times the MS route is actually the correct one.

What I don't like is buying something because everyone else does.

23. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

It's just an opinion. It's a forum for Apple enthusiasts, no less.

You should expect "fan boy" opinions and rants. The term "fan boy" shouldn't be derogatory around here. Anytime MS is put down, someone always MUST defend their honor. I don't get it... :confused:

24. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I think it should be fair. If you are putting down M$ don't put it down simply because it's M$ and you are an Apple fanboi. Have some facts maybe? Silly expectation that one, I know.

I've used Windows, Mac OS and Linux before. All of them have their good and bad points. Mac OS is also not the absolute end-all be-all OS out there. In general Windows does have some things it does better than Mac OS. And the other way around too. Why that's so difficult to understand is beyond me.

25. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Being an Apple enthusiast isn't the same thing as being a blind fanboy and it's not about defending the 'honor' of a giant, multi-national, billon dollar corporation that only cares about what's in your wallet (be it Apple, MS, Adobe or Dell) but about making an honest effort to speak factually and w/accuracy.

There's no reason, IMO, why the MacRumors community should aim no higher than the lowest rung on the ladder.

Lethal