working barcode (UPC) scanning app for 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hefeglass, Jun 19, 2009.

1. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

i have been using "redlaser" for a while now...and with the new 3gs, the live scan mode works extremely well!
    the developers have noted that they will fix the photo scanning mode for the 3gs in an update very soon.
    I tried another barcode scanning app, it didnt recognize anything. It would also force you to take the picture from far away as if you were using a 3g. Redlaser works very well for the live scanning mode. You just fit the upc into the arrows and they will turn green when it is sized right. you can tap the screen to autofocus also...I was able to succesfully scan quite a few different items.
    also, sometimes you might want to double check that it came up with the correct UPC number..ive had to scan a couple twice..but most of them work great!
    this is nice for a program that isnt even designed for use with the 3gs...cant wait till new scanning apps come out.

2. mappyman macrumors regular

I installed this last night.

Must admit when I first saw it I thought it was another take a photo of a bar code app... but it's not. I love how you just point at a bar code and it reads it in real-time with a beep :D (augmented reality).

BTW: It's currently free in Cydia version 2.2b.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've been using Pic2Shop, and it's never had a problem. Other than a few of the UPCs that are outdated or are labeled "Not For Resale" this app had been awesome. Also FREE in the iTunes App Store; you don't need to Jailbreak your 3GS...:p:p:p

4. Cescfabregas4 macrumors member

I have livescan with my iPhone 3g and I am suprised how well it works. I scanned my Nike shoe box and it worked.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

That's right. Steal those apps.

6. Acronym macrumors 68000

when i try to use this app the screen "flickers" and the camera makes the sound as if it's trying to autofocus, anyone else having this problem?

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

??? ^^^ Which app would that be that you speak of? :confused:

8. Acronym macrumors 68000

its a cydia app

9. mappyman macrumors regular

What are you talking about fool, the developers have set it to free for Cydia users. :confused:

10. bigmouth macrumors 6502

From whom? The developers who choose to give them away for free? Seriously, do a little research before playing the righteousness card.

11. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I just downloaded RedLaser from Cydia as well a few nights ago. I am having a bit of problem with it keeping the phone still and right within the lines while it reads the barcode, but when I am able to hold it still, it works well! Very cool app and allowed me to get rid of my old Save Benjis app which was a dinosaur.

12. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I always find it funny that people usually do not return to posts when they have been proven wrong. Embarrassed much?? :rolleyes:

The app is FREE for jailbreakers, NOT cracked! :apple:

13. krnboy503 macrumors regular

i agree :)