Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
So, I've got good Time Machine backups of my older iMac on two external drives. I've got a decent Macbook Air that's sitting idle. What might be the result if i used the Time Machine backup or Migration Assistant to redo my Macbook Air so that it has the same programs and data as my current iMac, which I am trading in or selling? There's more than enough room on the Macbook hard drive... That way, I could sell my iMac without waiting for the new one to arrive.
Thoughts?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You would be better off with a SINGLE drive having a BOOTABLE cloned backup of your old iMac.

You can create one using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both of these are FREE to download and use for 30 days).

If it was me, I'd keep the old iMac AT LEAST until I had the new one set up and running well for a week or so.

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Migration assistant for applications : no. I prefer to start clean.

Migration assistant for personal data : yes, that's okay.

Clone copy of the hard drive of an older model to a new one : no, again, I prefer to start clean.

I never had problem with cleanly installed macOS. But heard problems from cloned copy, migrated apps through migration assistants, etc... I strongly believe a cleanly installed system with manual copy of personal files and manual reinstall of necessary applications is always better. You don't reinstall the crap and useless things you had previously. It's also a lot more secure : you limit the surface of attack by not reinstalling apps you don't need.

Last edited:

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Strange as it may seem, I restored my iMac to my Macbook Air and it worked without a hiccup or hitch. First time I've ever done this. So, now I know the Time Machine backup I have of my iMac works, and I can start to think of packing up the iMac when my new iMac arrives next week. :)

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Strange as it may seem, I restored my iMac to my Macbook Air and it worked without a hiccup or hitch. First time I've ever done this. So, now I know the Time Machine backup I have of my iMac works, and I can start to think of packing up the iMac when my new iMac arrives next week. :)
That's exactly how Time Machine is supposed to work :) It's not model specific

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Not often in my lifetime with computers, which goes back to the first IBM PCs, has something worked as designed. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.