Working for Apple?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zachnelson, Jun 2, 2012.

1. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Anybody ever gone through the interview process for working in an Apple retail store? On my latest jaunt down there to buy a new MacBook Air, the manager and a manager in training basically walked up to me and asked me if I'd like working there. I have an interview next week.

Crazy stuff eh?

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Good luck!

3. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Good luck! Can you let us know what the interview process is like? I'm curious.

Thanks....

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I know there have been numerous threads on this both on the retail side and working at the campus. There should be more than enough info to give you a head start.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If I remember correctly from a previous thread on the topic, the majority of new Apple retail employees are part time workers. If you get the job, please let us know if you find that to be case too.

6. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Is there any difference in working for a Apple retail store and any retail store as far as the pay is concerned?

7. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I've been reading about it, and most places say that it is similar to most retail, only you have to deal with much worse customers, so it was almost worse.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I don't know about the retail store side of things...Never use them, but my contacts in on-line sales and support are VERY well paid compared to the help desk clones other companies use. The training is intense, and the people who deal with day to day Apple re;lated issues are top notch. If I was seeking employment in the company, that's the route I'd take. As Dr Q posted, I think most of the junior positions are part time in store. Let us know if this isn't the case!

9. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Lucky...I'd love a(ny) job, but I'd love to work at Apple!

10. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

The interview process sucks a**. I went through 4 interviews and the manager at another Apple Store 2 hours away didn't like me the moment he saw me (first 3 loved me... don't get it). Didn't even make it to the 5th phase which is a huge gathering. I think I was overdressed for the 4th interview (like the I'm a PC guy and not the I'm a Mac guy). I don't know why they made me waste my time at 3 different Apple stores for the job position at the one 10 minutes from my house. They ended up hiring a bunch of heavily pierced/tattooed kids that had little sales experience. I guess I wasn't hip enough.

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yup

You pretty much needed some tats, gauges in your ear that show you've had them for years and perhaps a crazy spiked hair style.

12. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Yeah. A shame, really. ;(

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Typically no. Everyone except for people that have stars in their eyes when they apply to work at the Apple Retail Stores raelize that retail is just retail.

The hourly rate does vary according to location, though.

14. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any ideas on what I should wear to the first interview? I was thinking a fitted blue shirt and slacks, but not entirely sure if thats over-dressed?

15. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

I wanna know how your interview goes/went. I wanna work at an Apple retail store myself soon.

16. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Dress like the Mac guy.

17. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Yeah. To be honest I don't care for most of the employees in the stores. They are all trying so hard to look "cool" that they ultimately look ridiculous. It's like the kids who shop at the chain store "Hot Topic", which is in every mall in America.

I try to avoid the Apple store at all costs. I've only been a couple of times if it wasn't for the free tech support. Once I left with a laptop and an employee said "welcome to the family!" It sent chills down my spine how douchey it was.

18. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Back when I worked there, it USED to be fun. We were all actual geeks with home servers, cobbled-together home theater setups, etc and passion for the Mac experience. Some of us knew how to write code, some of us designed websites, I was a Final Cut trainer/Creative before "Creative" was ever a position. We were told to "sell the experience". Then around 2006, it turned into "Sell AppleCare, .Mac and ProCare and follow these scripts and guidelines." It used to be a haven for Mac geeks and professionals and people who loved the Mac culture. Then it turned into Best Buy with more comfortable work clothes...but not much difference.

19. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Speaking of "family" they used that word 800 times during my 4th interview. They kept telling they weren't sure if I fit in with their "family" like it was some kind of cult. It was nauseating. Answering the same exact questions 4 interviews in a row was also rather annoying.

20. Culver1 macrumors newbie

Its very nice to hear that you Working for Apple,.
    My dream to work with Apple because its great industry today,.

21. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

That was my instinct on this. Dealing with some of end user consumers can be very annoying while at work, especially when you are dealing with the similar people off the work already.

22. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Anyone know what the typical starting pay is for the average Apple store employee?