Working in FCE....Major Problem...Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nyycavo24, Aug 21, 2008.

1. nyycavo24 macrumors member

In February I bought a MBP 2.4GhZ, 160GB HD, 2 GB RAM.....I bought to make a fairly involved movie that I am making.

I am about half way through and all of a sudden it started getting REAL slow on me....almost unusable...renderings take way too long, even moving along the timeline takes a while....this wasn't the case for the first 5 months, but all of a sudden...

I noticed my HS space is down to 40 GB from 160GB...Is this the reason? Additionally, what are some solutions to the problem?

Will buying an external hard drive and storing all files on there free up enough space to make it run smoothly again?

Help!

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

one of the golden rules of video editing...

NEVER ever have the media files that you're editing on your system drive. For laptops this means ALWAYS use a FW external hard drive for editing.

If you don't follow this you are asking for trouble (in the form of very slow editing and possible crashes).

3. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man. I really appreciate the information...This project is my first go-round with heavy duty video editing.

I just bought an External 320GB HD today. When I get it, should I just transfer all those video files into the External?

Will I have to reconnect all of those media files when I boot up FCE? Im assuming I will because its currently referencing them from a location on the hard drive right?

You've been a HUUGE help!

Thanks!

4. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

40 GB of free space is not low. 1 GB is low. the problem is probably because your harddrive is only a 5400rpm drive. for video editing, a 7200rpm or above is recommended. anything below will result in choppy playback.

so, yeah, an external Firewire 400/800 drive will solve your problem. i would also upgrade the ram to 4GB if you can, although not that big of a deal compared to getting a faster harddrive.

5. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

yep, yep, yep. hope you got a 7200rpm drive.

6. -DH macrumors 65816

40gb of free space IS getting pretty low for a boot drive running the current OS and software. The system uses free space on the boot drive for temp and swap files and FCE is trying to use that same space as well for captures and renders. Most editors recommend leaving at least 10 to 20% free space on ALL drives for efficient operation.

When you get the new 7200rpm Firewire drive, make sure you format it as "Mac OS Extended" before using it for editing.

-DH

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How big is the FCE project file and have you tried trashing your preferences?

Lethal

8. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

that's true. an external hdd that is 72000rpm or faster will solve that issue. and then, from there, you can also add more ram since the more ram you have the better especially if you are working with big FCE projects.