Working on a PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zackkmac, Nov 22, 2013.

1. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I have a Dual 2GHz G5, model A1047. I think this particular one is the 2004 model. It has a dead logic board and a faulty graphics card, so I ordered a working board and an OEM G5 9800 Pro 256MB video card (for now).

My problem is that my tools aren't slim enough nor long enough to reach the hex screws that hold the CPUs in place, which keeps me from removing the logic board (I think).

My question is - for any of you that have ever removed the G5's CPUs, heatsink assembly and all, what tool kit do you have that allowed you to do so? And is there any possible way to remove the logic board with these CPUs and heatsinks still attached?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've replaced the logicboard on a 1.8Ghz (single processor) G5. I can't imagine that things would be any different, except in regards to where hardware is located and the nature of that hardware.

I removed the entire logicboard, cpu and heatsink as one unit and replaced it with the same. The hardest part was getting the heat sink cover off. It can't be that HARD in your case. You should be able just to remove the whole thing as a unit.

Have you tried looking at ifixit.com?

3. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response. I think you missed my exact question though. :p I know how to disassemble it (I already have the G5 cover off) but my tools are not slim nor long enough to reach the hex screws holding down the heatsink. So I was wanting to know what toolkits you guys use to remove these. Meaning I need to know the brand and where I can find them because right now, nothing I have can reach the hex screws.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK.

All I used was one of those magnetic screwdrivers with replaceable heads. But I never removed the heat sink, just the logicboard.

If you are wanting to remove the heat sink and CPU before you remove the logicboard, I don't have any suggestions.

5. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. So according to what you're saying, removal of the CPU and heatsink is not needed to remove the entire logic board assembly from the tower. Which may make it easier for me to remove the heatsink using my current tools.

I'll go give it a shot. I just thought I remember iFixit having to remove the heatsink assembly first before pulling the whole board out.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You may be right, IDK. I didn't remove the logicboard from a dual. All I was saying was that it shouldn't be much different. However, I'm not an expert.

Hopefully someone out there who has a dual or your model can chime in.

7. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it turns out on the dual, the heatsink is attached directly to the metal casing of the tower. So the logic board is unable to be removed until the heatsink is out.

I will keep searching online for tools that will appear to fit. This is my problem. It is very tight quarters in there where these 6 screws holding down the heatsink are located...so my challenge is now finding properly-sized tools for the job. Once I get that, it should be smooth sailing and I'll be able to fix this G5. :)

8. mjoeyoung macrumors newbie

9. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly the answer I was looking for. I already bought some off eBay but if they don't work, these should. Thanks!