Working on a space pc game concept art and text

Szczelec33

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
I started working with the idea or creating a space game of sorts maybe as a mobile or web app or if I can find or join a full indy gaming studio or maybe start my oen and find coders i will. Turn this idea into something much much bigger.

Both the graphic and text are all my own and will serve as the game’s intro or intro screen.
- - Post merged: - -

Another idea for the intro screen:

I fixed the eye alignment for the bottom one.

Szczelec33

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017

I dont get why the video plays a bit choppy at beginning? Is it because I uploaded it at 720p? Or the fact I uploaded form iMovie on iPad vs if I did it from Mac it wouldnt be like that?

Actually I think it is because of the font. It is as if the font has a bit blur to it as it scrolls up.

Szczelec33

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
This video and developer named Derek who created a space game himself inspired me because although he is a loon he proved that you can still find success or carbe a niche being self taught (I have a journalism ba but rest of my skills are self tsught) and without big name recognition or starting out essentislly from a garage. Sometimes all it take sis an idea or have a skill in one aspect snd the rest can come together by working with others or learning over time:

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2019
This looks pretty bad, what's that image? Looks like some discoballs with a bunch of filters. The text is way too squeezed and unreadable. What's the goal or backstory? What kind of game are you making? I'd try to attract someone with design and illustration skills so you can focus on the programming. Sorry, just my opinion.

Szczelec33

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Here is the latest version:

if you cant see a face from that piel art image, you have a low perception of vision. It is supposed to be abstract like almost all space and scifi games are.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Well then I guess I don't have the eye, because all of this does not look appealing or what I would see in a space game. The text is unreadable, don't know if that is the point or not, and the graphics just don't look good.

But to each his own.

Szczelec33

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
well at least its better than most of the stuff you see on aspiring and third world graphic designers on facebook groups no? not even better than these guys’ work?

or the stuff you see on social and popular media.

at least not too bad for just a chico state journalism grad?

you dont need to use so called professional tools or know each and every aspect of illustrator to create stuff that touch people or stuff that is unique. thats just the be corporate whores tell you to make you feel special at night.

TwoH

macrumors regular
May 19, 2019
I have to say, it is at least.. unique..? But not in a good way. It looks very very amateurishly made in my opinion. Compare it to say something like Super Metroid's opening

With your preview videos, it is not interesting at all to read any of the text, it moves too fast, and it has nothing else to engage you in it.

It would be much better if you faded in one paragraph at a time of the text you want to put in your intro, and alongside it, an image with correlates and relates to that paragraph, to give context, meaning, understanding, and engagement to people to read it.

I really can't make much out of your image you have provided either to be honest. It looks like a jumbled mess to me

Szczelec33

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
I actually drew a metroid landscape all in my mind for a level while I was in Prison using soft pastels:
1579574957157.jpeg

btw, at least my stuff has heart u like these elongated and exaggerated shapes that everyone else does now:
1579574909174.png

via https://medium.muz.li/graphic-design-trends-that-will-help-your-business-to-stand-out-in-2020-81559d02d68c

my preview vid was really only meant for me to practice my skills of video editing, game writing and graphic design. it also has motion graphics thrown it. meant to get me some freelance work not create an actual game as I dont know how to code btw smart guy.