Working Out?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JGC1986, May 10, 2012.

1. JGC1986 macrumors regular

JGC1986

Alright, I am 6'1, 25 years old, and weigh about 200lbs. trying to lose some weight and start eating better, but do not know where to start/what plan is best?

The internet offers an abundance of information, but its an overload to me to look through it all...

What diet/exercise plan has worked best for you? I only have my apartment community gym to go to, and was debating a gym membership but money is tight right now with a wedding coming up in July.

I do not really work out now. I eat whatever, no set diet. I'm pretty much just starting out! :(

2. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I guess you could start going to your community gym and setup a diet plan that you can live with. Some diets can be unrealistic which result in people quitting after a short period and regaining the lost weight. So it's good to find good ways to keep eating some of the things you love to eat, like chicken for example.

Well... that's all I got.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Stop drinking alcohol: watch the pounds melt away.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm a hard core, long time fitness enthusiast, I've done a tremendous amount of research to help my friends etc. Long story short, the one FREE, highly rated iPhone app that you may want to start with is MyFitnessPal.

Recording what you eat is crucial.

There are many benefits of this free App, including the free account on their website.

Not knowing anymore than you posted, I'd highly suggest you be patient and use a search engine like the one below to find the workout routine, that appeals to you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Give this search engine a try, it's excellent, doesn't track you, and provides additional info that others don't.

http://www.duckduckgo.com/

5. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

MyFitnessPal.com will spit out a calorie amount for you to follow based on personal info you give it when signing up such as age, height, weight, gender, etc. Give it a go and stick to it and you should be starting out on the right track. They have a website that is free and have apps on the iPad, iPhone, and Android. Anyone I know that has wanted to lose weight I direct them to that site.

6. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Keep in mind it is a lifestyle. This is a marathon, and not a sprint. With that in mind, you should be eating a diet comprised of High protein, moderate but complex carbs such as brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, oat meal etc... As well as good essential fatty acids such as almonds, avocado, and flax seeds. Spread your meals out over the day between 5-6 times a day trying to eat every 3 hours in order to keep your metabolism going.

Diet is 80% of your results so keep that in mind. However don't try and kill yourself over the diet. Allow for a cheat meal 2-3 times a week. Do a fair amount of cardio, with moderate weight training, and you should be good to go. There is more to is than this, and I could go into much further detail, but this is the basics of it. Hope that helps.

7. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I don't exercise as a routine. Just stay active working in the yard, arranging the garage, cleaning the car, riding my bike, kayaking, etc. Also fidgiting constantly. Distracts from eating much.

8. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Agree with the diet being 80% for dropping body fat %. Far as workouts though, I think weights > cardio

Weights = builds muscle which increases your metabolism, raise your RMR for 24 hours, encourages your body to create growth hormone which burns fat

Cardio = catabolyzes muscle through low intensity repetitive motion, burns a pitiful amount of calories (whatever number your treadmill throws at you also includes BMR, the calories you'd burn doing nothing), raises RMR for 30 mins - 1 hr only

And if you want a starting point, figure out your BMR and count calories

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

First thing I would do is cut all soft drinks and sugar drinks out of your life. Drink more water.

Take your lunch to work, and try to just eat healthy food but big thing is cut boozes and soft drinks out of your life and pounds will drop pretty fast.

10. TSE macrumors 68030

Losing Weight = Calories burned > Calories consumed

Follow that rule. That's it.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Unless you've got a tendency to only succeed when you're obsessing about something, don't go to extremes. Your body won't react well to it long-term and it's too difficult to maintain. Eat non-processed as much as possible and don't binge on anything. If you have a loss of willpower, so be it. Just don't let it become a habit. Stay active but don't go so hard you burn out. Drink fewer sugary drinks, including alcohol. Drink lots of water.

Being sensible without extremes is what keeps me thin. I eat what I want and drink what I want but I don't over-indulge. I don't go to the gym because I am active in plenty of other rights. I imagine a lot of people would find themselves in better shape with just a few small changes to diet and activity. It doesn't have to be totally painful.

Good post from ChrisTX.

12. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Actually I also agree that weights>cardio. I was really tired last night when I wrote that. However for someone trying to lose weight cardio is key. As long as he is consuming his macros for the day he will be burning fat, and not muscle. The key is to not over train.

13. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Go for a run, it's free and feels much better than a treadmill, I'd recommend lifting weights too, lifting them from your chest to above your head not only works the arms, it works the core.

14. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

No, for someone trying to lose weight, diet is key. For those trying to preserve lean body mass, a high protein intake + weights is better than cardio. Weights are also better than cardio for burning fat. Weights also increase bone density by 40%, which is even more beneficial for older folks. If you enjoy cardio, do cardio. I'd recommend weights and HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) for cardio.

15. chordate68 macrumors regular

chordate68

If it's possible, find a copy of P90X. If you have enought time to devote to it you'll see great results.

I've been doing a high rep/low weight workout 3-4 times a week with 20-30 minutes of stairmaster for the past month and not really watching what I eat. I've lost about 15lbs.

16. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Although that works, and will help you lose weight, it doesn't mean its HEALTHY.

You're 6'1 and 200 lbs...doesn't sound like you're too overweight. I would start lifting weights 4 times a week and doing cardio on the off days (I like fasted LISS in the mornings). I would focus on maintaining and/or gaining muscle while cutting fat. The more muscle you have on you the better you look and the easier it is to stay fit (obviously adding 50 lbs of muscle will make you look ridiculous).

The best advice I can give you is GET STARTED. You'll make mistakes, but you'll also make progress and learn from your mistakes. Start looking for nutritional guidelines, and start researching how to train effectively.

IMHO I've seen results only lifting weights for about 1 hour, 4 days a week. You don't need to live in the gym to see good results. Consistency is key. :D

17. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Eat well balanced and healthy meals. If you eat lots of fast food, stop now. I think the hardest part of losing weight and getting in shape is altering your diet.

As stated earlier, cut out excessive alcohol consumption as much as you can. Those drinks are full of empty calories. When you start working out, start slow and don't go to the extreme because your body should adjust. If you don't want to go to the gym get yourself a treadmill and start running on it daily. Include some workouts (pushups, situps, etc) that you can easily do at home.

Good luck, and don't get suckered into those diet plans like weight watchers. They do work but it's up to you to create a routine for yourself that you can stick with on the long term.

Oh and once you get down to whatever size or weight you want, do not stop :eek: Keep going with it. Staying healthy and being in shape is a never ending process.

18. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Yup, the diet is the hardest. Working out is the easy part. Which is why there are a ton of people out there doing Insanity and Crossfit who still stay overweight.

Sodas, fruit juice, all empty calories - just a bunch of sugar that goes into your blood, spikes your insulin, and gets converted directly into body fat. Then you crash and feign for more sugar. Far as alcohol, clear alcohols like vodka and gin are fine. It's the cocktails that'll kill you. If you want a drink, vodka/soda water is good. Or just do a Grey Goose shot. A lot of dry wines are fine too.

I'm a proponent of diet plans and personal trainers if people can afford it. For one, it takes out a lot of the guesswork. It also helps with willpower issues and solidifying good habits. Most people know what to do to take care of themselves. They just can't follow through because they lose the will.

19. KompleX macrumors regular

i disagree on this. if you have a strong willpower and are determined to get healthier, then your body will automatically be repulsed by fatty foods. however, subjecting yourself to constant torture at the gym will never be a fun activity (unless your goals are minimal).

20. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

You don't sound that overweight to me either. I'm 6'2", 25 and about 220. I've been hitting the gym hard for about 5 months now and I've only lost about 10 pounds but I've been lifting very hard, doing cardio on my off days, and at least attempting to cut out the crap from my diet. My goal is around 200 with good muscle definition. I'd recommend you get on a medium to high protein diet, cut out the bad stuff from your diet, lift weights three days a week and do cardio at least two days a week. You can also work cardio into your weights by doing HIIT.

Yes eating less calories than you burn will result in weight loss but it won't be as long lasting as if you lose it by building muscle and creating a body that works for you. Get in the gym, lift, move, eat right and be patient. You'll see results but based on the stats you gave I wouldn't have crazy high expectations out of the gate. You're close to a goal weight meaning it'll take more time to see the results you want than somebody that has an extra 100 pounds who can drop 5 pounds a week.

21. KompleX macrumors regular

probably the best advice anyone can you give in regards to working out. why not start today rather than next week??!! and my main objective in every workout session is to make progress! :)

22. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

I'm 25 years old weight 172 pounds when I weighted myself this morning. I think it all depends on how your body is built. I can eat all day anything I want and still not gain weight. Just recently did a tough mudder which was sick and it got me hooked on working out. Run everyday when I'm home from work but hardest part is finding time to run. Takes a long time to get a good work out in. Lloyd

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You totally forgot to mention that you are 4'8" and have a BMI of 38.6.

24. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

How tall are you? According to the health professionals the ideal weight is around 180 for a 6'2 25 year old. I doubt I'll be 180 for a few years and even if I am it'll probably come at the expense of muscles mass which I don't want. BMI is a thing of the past. Fit is the new skinny.

25. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

My bad. Forgot to put down my height. 6 ft 3 inches. According to the experts I'm a little below the average weight for a person my age/height. Lloyd