Working Photographer-Which 17" MBP, i5, i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Noctilux.95, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Noctilux.95 macrumors 6502

I'm a full time working photographer (use Canon 5D MK II's, 1DS III) and need a mobile device (MBP 17") for editing in Apple Aperture 3, Photo Mechanic, and some Photoshop CS5.

Which processor is ideal for my type of work?
    i5, i7.....

I already have a high end Mac Pro and an i7 iMac for most of my work in the office. This is mainly to do some editing at a Starbucks when I need to get the hell out of the office.

Any suggestions would be appreciate it.

2. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]
    CS4 benchmarking

3. carlyinoz macrumors member

Can't see that being very useful to the O.P. as it doesn't compare any 2010 17"'s! (and it's CS4 not 5)

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I have a 15" i7 MBP with an HR AG screen. Since you already have a Mac Pro and a iMac, why not get the 15" MBP for added portability. The high res option should give you adequate screen space. I edit in Aperture 3 and find the 15" just fine for mobile editing. I would highly recommend the i7 version with 8GB of RAM. SSD is awesome but also pricey. Maybe going a 3rd party route for an SSD would be better.

i7 is the way to go if only to get the added VRAM.

5. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

The 17"s have identical RAM, processor, GPU, what exactly is different?
    His cameras don't use SD cards because they are professional grade, the 17" features ExpressCard

6. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

FireWire compact flash reader is a good alternative for ugly sticking out Expresscard/34 reader.

And he didn't mention SD slot. He was talking about SSD, which is almost perfect for storing and editing up-to-date photos (given that you have enough capacity).

7. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I was referring to the fact that the 15" lacks an ExpressCard /34, also it allows him access to USB 3.0, eSata and other things

8. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

A simple $20 all in one adapter solves that problem. Firewire is good enough for transfers off of 300X UDMA CF cards anyway.