Working primarily from external drive to extend computer drive's lifespan?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GanChan, Apr 28, 2015.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

Would it extend the usable life of my Macbook Air's hard drive if I stored most of my files on an external hard drive so that drive would take most of the file read/write burden?

Probably not, right?

2. dyt1983, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I meant a new-ish (2104) model with a SSD. My "master computer" is my Mini, and I regularly back up the Mini's folders to a USB 3.0 thumb drive. I've just been working directly from the thumb drive when I use my Air (instead of transferring those folders onto the Air's SSD), and haven't experienced any meaningful lag in response time....

I tend to go a looooong time between computer purchases, though, so you could say that I ask significantly more longevity of them than the average "update-every-couple-years" user.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Whether you use your Air's internal drive or not it should still last around 5 years plus. Remember an SSD has no movable parts, so it doesn't wear out like a traditional spinning hard drive.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Right. The external spinning drive will probably die long before you've reached the write limits of the SSD. Most people can expect 10+ years of life out of an SSD if they use it heavily. At my current rate I expect my 840 Pro to last about 50 years.