Working Raid 0 boot drive on my Alu 2.4 Macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kusanagi, Mar 15, 2009.

1. kusanagi macrumors regular

Hello,

I thought i'd share this with everyone if anyone has been interested or curious to do the same, I have installed a Raid 0 setup in my 2.4ghz Aluminum macbook using 250gb and 320gb Seagate 7200.3 2.5" drives with 16mb cache each. The reason its 2 different sizes? Because i'm stupid! I bought the 320 thinking the other drive was 320 aswell- only realising once i had installed both that they were different sizes.

Not to fear- the raid would be slowed down by the slowest drive, specification wise they are both the same so no problems there. In fact in my case it creates something which is quite awesome- individual boot partitions on each drive. In my case the layout is as follows;
    250GB Drive
    220GB - Raid Slice​
    12GB - Emergency boot partition with Leopard installed​
    320GB Drive
    220GB -Raid Slice​
    70GB - Windows Bootcamp partition​

Installing the drive required me to sacrifice my optical drive- no biggie I have not used it since I bought the machine.

The tricky bit is, the sata connector found on the optical drive, delivers the +5V power through what would be the standard +3V power on a normal SATA power connector. I bought a "SATA Extender" from ebay for $3 and then re-routed the power to the correct pins (as you can see in the image). The fit is pretty tight but fits snug in there.

In terms of performance, xbench gives about 80-100% performance increase in some synthetic tests, real world performance i've found everything to be really snappy. I was doing a restore from a carbon copy cloner image to put my old data back, during the verifying process I was getting 150MB/s read performance! CPU impact is minimal, giving maybe 3-4% to the RAID.

The macbook is slightly heavier now, I couldn't believe how light the optical drive was! Heat is a little warmer from the base but that doesn't bother me either. I have not tried the battery life but I will be sure to let you guys know if you would like.

Anyway shoot off any questions if you have any... here's the fun stuff.. pictures!

Attached Files:

2. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Wow you are one brave person :cool: I would be hesitant to try something like that on my machine even in 5 years :p