Working remotely from MacBook Pro to iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by uhhhwords, Mar 9, 2010.

1. uhhhwords macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am new to this, I work on a MacBook Pro at work where it has the DVI cable to have a duel screen with another monitor. The server connection is... sorry I'm bad at this but the one that looks like a phone cord/plug. Anyways, I'm currently working from home and the server is ridiculously slow. I figured if I bought an iMac, I could at least do the duel screen so I wouldn't have to use a 15 inch screen. The MacBook Pro is an older version that does not have mini display port to mini display port. I got it to do the wireless screen share but if I clicked on an application it would only come up on the laptop... so it was kind of pointless.

So my question is, is there a way to keep the MacBook Pro connected and running at work and access it from the iMac at home? Please note that I have a wireless internet connection at home but not at work.

I tried speaking with Apple Support about it and they told me something about third party software but I haven't found anything and they didn't seem too sure of themselves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Tayla Green macrumors newbie

imintouch remote access and fast file transfer capabilities enable business travelers and remote users to control their desktop computer to find and retrieve files, draft documents, create presentations, or perform any other operation

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The "server connection" is the so-called Ethernet port (LAN).

What server is ridiculously slow?

As you know, you can also set the MBP to use an external screen in a dual (not duel) monitor setup. But the iMac is capable of doing that too. It has nothing to do with miniDisplayPort, that is just another port like DVI, just more advanced.

What wireless screen share do you mean?
    You now have an iMac and set it to Screen Sharing? And you used your MBP for it? Can you be please more specific?

Also, the wireless internet connection will probably use a cable via a router and modem, unless you have some kind of wireless stick (with antenna) to connect to the internet.

Your workplace might have made some precautions to not allow external remote control, so speak to the administrator of your work network setup.

To remote control your work computer via your home computer your need a so called VNC client.
    http://www.google.com/search?client...oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=AQiXS6OlM86C_QaN4NTICw

But first confirm at your workplace the possibility of even being allowed or able to do that.

4. uhhhwords thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the quick response, but I don't understand that... I usually work off a PC at home and the Mac tech terms are a little new to me. Are these programs that I would get?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

TeamViewer is an easy to use, free app that could do what you want. I use it daily for connections to Macs and PCs.

6. uhhhwords thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so when I work from home there is this program called NetExtender, I think it's a VPN thing... please note I'm a graphic designer so a lot of this is beyond me, but I will try to be as specific as possible. Anyways, NetExtender is really not that compatible with Macs and I get kicked off the server that way... when I work at home, so that is what is slow.

At work the LAN connection is quick. As far as the screen sharing goes, Apple guided me through it... I had to add a user to the MBP and do a screen share and it was just for show and didn't help with what I was trying to do. It was wireless because the MBP and iMac were on the same wireless internet connection.... we have FIOS so the main internet router is in another room and everything is linked that way.

For now, I've been using using a regular monitor with the DVI cable, but I would like to get some use out of the iMac... plus it would be nice to get work done a little quicker and access larger files without getting kicked off.

So is a VNC client a program or is it something that IT would have to look into?

Hope I was helpful with being descriptive.