Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Hopefully it won't be long until the iPhone's apps are ported to the touch :)

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
I wish we had an iPod Touch Dev Team! It feels like everyone is working on the iPhone Firmware 1.1.1! Do they not realize the touch will have a much bigger user base cause not everyone wants to be tied to a carrier or the iPhone will not be avalible in there area for a while.

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
NY
i was at a little cafe and my ipod touch picked up the wifi and i almost cracked their billing program.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
I just want this thing to be open to 3rd party apps. I cant wait until we can add installer.app to the touch.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Also i believe apple may care a little less about cracking on the touch as it isn't a revenue stream for them (even though the software updates are probably the same for both iPhone + Touch)

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
Also i believe apple may care a little less about cracking on the touch as it isn't a revenue stream for them (even though the software updates are probably the same for both iPhone + Touch)

Well the 3rd party apps on the iPhone were not hurting att or apple it was the unlocking... But I guess if you can get apps on the iPhone you can unlock it? I dont know much about hacking (I wish I did!)

SirCrumpet

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I wish we had an iPod Touch Dev Team!

http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Main_Page

It feels like everyone is working on the iPhone Firmware 1.1.1! Do they not realize the touch will have a much bigger user base cause not everyone wants to be tied to a carrier or the iPhone will not be avalible in there area for a while.

The security on the two seems largely the same - progress on the iPhone 1.1.1 jailbreak/hacking will likely work on the touch as well.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
By working exploit it means it executed a few bytes of ARM assembler, so don't get your hopes up yet... there's a ways to go between that an a full jailbreak.

iphone jailbreak is a matter of days away so I hope the devs don't stop working on touch compatible stuff before a break for the touch is made.

Last I heard they were thinking of making the exploit patch itself after jailbreak, because at the moment every single iphone and itouch is vulnerable to this bug - and once the method is known the virus writers/spammers will have a field day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.