Working VNC client or Teamviewer for Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jmcgeejr, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

Since upgrading to lion, my teamviewer connection to my mini is hit or miss, and I cant find one vnc client to work with my windows box at work to mini at home. My teamviewer seems to crash for no reason. Argh!!!

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

OSX has a vnc client built in, just turn on screen sharing and use any vnc client to log in. Works fine.

3. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

Also works if you do CMD+K (connect to server) and use the format vnc://[ipaddress or hostname]

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I also discovered recently that you can initiate a screen share from on a mac by opening safari and typing vnc://[ip address]

5. jmcgeejr thread starter macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

I wish that were my experience, I have UltraVNC for my windows box and I cannot connect to my Lion box, with sharing on, I see my login accounts and but about 1-3 seconds later I lose mouse and keyboard functions.

6. jmcgeejr thread starter macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

Yes I am able to use MAC to MAC VNC but not able to use my windows 7 box at work to connect to the mini at home.

7. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

I admin a few windows machines at home, use freeVNC and Hamachi if I'm out of the house, works very well :)

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Are you sure your router is port forwarded correctly?

9. jmcgeejr thread starter macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

100% positive :) If it werent I wouldnt get the login screen etc.

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I just tried connecting with 2 iphone vnc apps and both failed....weird. I have however connected locally with my iPad...that's why I assumed it was working. I can SSH in to my machine tho.

11. jmcgeejr thread starter macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

I can use jump on my iphone, they have updated it to work with the new way lion handles VNC, but I have yet to find a working windows client.

12. timbojill macrumors member

I am having the same problem with my Macbook. Before upgraded I had no problem connecting to my Macbook from a Windows 7 machine. Now I can not connect. If you get this solved e-mail timbojill@gmail.com.

13. gentlefury macrumors 68030

oh wait, nevermind, I was typing the wrong password into realvnc....it works fine.

14. dwmusic macrumors newbie

have to log out - Apple Lion VNC death sentence

I have to load audio and video samples to start a DAW session, which i use iPad to control via VNC. This takes 40-60 minutes or more.

Sadly, since Lion OS I am now forced to log out every time the connection drops, but cannot afford the hours of downtime reloading everything causes. Under Snow Leopard it all works and I can reconnect without having to log out.

This has turned my expensive iPad into nothing better than a piece of junk, and it's evident Apple has done this on purpose to force everyone to upgrade their machines since the existing ones (2008 and older) can't run Moutain Lion, on which now doubt they'll wait to post this fix. Because of Lion incompatibility, the app I am developing a control surface on is now junk as well.

Very angry at scheming Apple. What an outrageous company.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. MBPs and iMacs from 2007 can run ML.

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion System Requirements

16. jmcgeejr thread starter macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

you should use team viewer, it's what I switched to once vnc stopped working for me.

17. dwmusic, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

dwmusic macrumors newbie

Maybe, but my Mac Pro 2007 model won't. It is not cheap to replace a 3GHz Quad machine with 16GB RAM on board, twin graphics card and 4 HD just to connect an iPad via VNC, and that's assuming that Apple ever fixes this.

----------

Thanks for the suggestion.

Is Team Viewer a VNC server, or a VNC client? I need the server just to connect the iPad. I tried Vine and RealVNC, but they don't translate properly all the keys.