Working with 2 desktops on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abu Rayane, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Abu Rayane macrumors member

Hello everybody,

I would like to use multiple desktops on MacBook Pro, if I open Safari on first Desktop, and try to open it on the second, it goes back to Desktop1, is there any way that I can open the same application on multiple desktops?

Thanks in advance

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I assume you are using two screens.

Yes right ckick safari and open in new window.

3. Abu Rayane thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Samuelsan2001, that's awesome, how about other applications, such as word, excel, ... if we would like to work in a separate spaces

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Just do the same thing. Swipe to the desired space then right click on that app in the dock then press open when the options in the dock opens.

5. Abu Rayane thread starter macrumors member

Just for some apps, not all of them, for example I could not open word or excel in more than one desktop

6. Abu Rayane thread starter macrumors member

7. s0nicpr0s, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Office for Mac

Hi Abu,

You can have multiple documents from Office open on multiple desktops. But it's not quite as simple as it is for safari since there is no 'New Window' prompt. Instead you'll have to open the new document on whichever desktop the program reverts to, and then just drag it to the edge to make it switch desktops. Then you're all set. :D

Attached is a picture showing two word documents spread between my two desktops

Attached Files:

8. Abu Rayane thread starter macrumors member

Well, I opened a new document, I swiped with my fingers to see other desktops, then I drag the document to the specific desktop, it works awesome, thanks Bro

9. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

You can right-click applications in the dock and assign them to different desktops.

You can actually go to System Preferences and change how different desktops are accessed.

--

All in all, I find the multiple desktops one of my favourite things about Macs for productivity. I have a personal desktop (i.e. social networking, iCal, etc.) and a work desktop (i.e. Mail.app, IDE/coding environment, documentation, etc.) that keep me very organized and focused.

10. Abu Rayane thread starter macrumors member

@xShane: That what I am trying to do, separate personal works from professional once