working with HTML

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nicoleasks, Nov 14, 2011.

1. nicoleasks macrumors newbie

Is there any way to open an HTML file to the source, like with Text Edit or something? In Windows, I would drag & drop the file into an open Notepad file, but on my Mac I've been resorting to opening the file with a browser, viewing source, and copy & pasting to a Text Edit file -- surely there's a better way?!?!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you Get Info (Command + I) on any html file you can choose the "Open With" application.

3. nicoleasks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but that doesn't work -- I open the file with Text Edit and it just opens the text content of the web page, not the source, the HTML code.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just drag and drop it onto the TextEdit icon. Will pop right up.

jW

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't recommend using TextEdit as an HTML source editor for this very problem you've run into. It's all too common - the reason for it is the default TextEdit preferences. Go in there, and check the option called "Ignore rich text commands in HTML files". Quit TextEdit, and reopen it.

6. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

TextMate is a great app for any form of coding. It supports every (useful) language I've tried offering colour coding and correct indentation. Well worth its €45 price tag!

7. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Also might want to give TextWranger a shot. Really nice and it is free.

8. szolr macrumors 6502

9. nicoleasks thread starter macrumors newbie

@Mal Thanks, but that doesn't work, either -- again, it just opens the text content of the web page, not the HTML source code.

@jamesr19 Thanks for the recommendation but I'm not looking to buy anything... nor should I have to, in my opinion. I don't want any bells or whistles: just a plain text editor!

@ScoobyMcDoo Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it :)

@szoir Yeah, sure: $400, almost 2GB, and a whole whack of features I have zero need for!! :)

@wrldwzrd89 HOORAY, you've fixed my problem! Thank you very much. :) You say you don't recommend TextEdit as an HTML editor -- are there other reasons, aside from the one I encountered? Is there something you do recommend instead?

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It works, but doesn't offer niceties like syntax highlighting that the free TextWrangler does.

11. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

+1 for TextMate. By far my favorite texteditor for Mac.

Simple yet powerful (e.g. Bundles and projects)

12. bkap16 macrumors member

TextEdit has two parts- a rich text editor (equivalent to WordPad) and a plain text editor (equivalent to notepad). The problem with using TextEdit for HTML editing is that it considers (rightly) HTML to be a rich text format.

13. RyanKohl macrumors newbie

14. nicoleasks thread starter macrumors newbie