working with multi formats in FCP7

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sonja357, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Sonja357 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to FCP7 and have a project with multi formats to work with. The reason for the multi formats is that footage was taken by different cameras and sent through to me in AVI, MOV and MTS formats. They are also varying in frame size between 620 x 480 and 920 x 540 and FPS of 25 and 30.

Does anyone know whether I could still work with the combination of all these varying factors in FCP7? In addition, footage captures various angles, is there anyway to set up a multi clip bearing the differences in mind?

Would really appreciate any help

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Wow.

FCP might accept some files, but you might need to render the timeline quite often in order to play the sequence back.

FCP likes .mov files using the DV, ProRes and Apple Intermediate Codec for video and Uncompressed audio.

Take a look at MPEG Streamclip to transcode some of your files (.avi) to that QuickTime format and use ClipWrap to transcode or rewrap the .mts files to .mov files.

Also take a look at the manual of FCP to learn acceptable formats for that application.

Mroogle will give you plenty of threads about this situation too.

Btw, you did post this thread in the wrong sub-forum. There is the Digital Video sub-forum for that matter. I notify a mod via the REPORT button.

3. Sonja357 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, a first timer to this web too

I've converted the MTS file to mpeg-4 and they all seem to be working in FCP, just with different frames sizes, etc.

should I take this chat to the other forum?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No need to. As I already wrote, I reported this thread and once a mod has time, it will be moved.

And again:

Final Cut Pro only really likes the DV, ProRes or Apple Intermediate codec, as those codecs store every frame of every second of every minute of every hour of video. H264 and all the other highly compressive codecs don't do that, thus exact cuts are not really possible and the timeline needs to be rendered a lot for every little change and those compressive codecs are quite CPU intensive.

Again, take a look at the FCP manual, accessible via web, the HELP menu or maybe even the book, that might have come with your FCP.